Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need a suggestions.
I want to buy a .22 rifle. I dont hunt, this is purely for target practice. I was going to buy a 10/22 really soon, but some guys on the range suggested a Remington 597. It's about $100 cheaper than the 10/22. Furthermore, it seems like most people who buy 10/22 want to bling it out. I want a good-shooting rifle out of the box. I'm not planning to make any mods to it. But then again, 597 seems to have a lot of problems. Has this really been fixed in the 3rd generation?

What would your thoughs on this be? I want something cheap, reliable and fun. Suggestions?

-d

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Personal experiences with the Rem 597 weren't that positive. What is your "target shooting" going to consist of? Can's and shotgun shells at 25-50yds then a 10/22 would be a fine choice. A Marlin model 60 is a cheap rifle that works good also.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Im going to play politictian here and ride the fence. Both are decent rifles out of the box. Both need a little work on things like the trigger. The 10-22 diffently has more aftermarket parts for it, but its been around longer so Im sure the 597 will probly catch up sooner or later. So really, if you just want something to shoot pick the one you like best, and the one that feels best to you .

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have owned all three rifled mentioned here, all will work! That said the only one I have seen fit to keep is the 597, I have the first gen mag and have no problems yet( bought new in 1998). That said if you want to play with it and add trinkets as you go I would get the 10/22. I have had zero problems with the 597 in the 7yrs I've owned it, cant say the same for the 10/22 I got at the same time (thats why it gone).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love my 10/22, no problems with it, and the customizing bug has bitten, but the wallet wont allow infection :) That said, either would be a good gun...one note however, the prices shouldnt be 100 dollars different....when I bought my 10/22, it was on sale for the same price as the 597, and regular was only 20 dollars more...

shoey

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
if this is your first rifel and you plan on target shooting(anything form paper to popcans), go with a nice BOLT ACTION...you will learn to take your time and place your shots rather than just blazing away til the mag is dry...believe me, I have seen this time after time...
try a Ruger 77-22 or maybe even a Henry lever, or a Rossi pump for a first out rifle....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shoey, on this page ( http://www.reliablegun.com/store/rifles.html ) 597 is $199 and a 10/22 in a similar configuration is $309 (this is canadian dollars.

LtRiker, most people I talked to seemed to agree that bolt action is just not fun. I'm fairly patient so emptying the whole mag is not going to be a problem :)

BudF, marlin is twice the price! ($199 vs $500). I dont know why it'd be so expensive, but I certianly don't want all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for your opinions everyone. I've shot the 10/22 yesterday, and after I figured out how the sights work :) i was very happy with the accuracy. I'm going to see if I can find someone with a 597 and then make a final decision.

-t

·
Registered
746 Posts
tra3 said:
LtRiker, most people I talked to seemed to agree that bolt action is just not fun. I'm fairly patient so emptying the whole mag is not going to be a problem
I don't think those people have much experience with bolt actions.

My vote is going to go for
1. NEF sporster break-action (affordable, accurate, less things to clean, less things to break/go-wrong and no magazines to buy)
2. Savage bolt action (affordable, accurate, less things to clean, easy to single load)

I'm not going to bother suggesting a semi-auto. Since you're a new shooter, you should spend more time shooting rather than tinkering with a semi-auto (if and when things go wrong).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
7000's are not 500 if a 597 is 199. 597's are 180-200 US$, 7000's are 170-200 US$. In the synthetic blued trim the 597 is a bit less that 170. Ruger 10/22 US$ are closer to 150 in the synthetic blue as well... just comprable models. No way the Marlin could get to 500$ even in canadian dollars.

The prices i'm seeing are quite unbalanced, if you shop around the ruger, the remington, and the marlin should all be less that 200 US$

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
LtRiker hit it right on. If you want to learn to hit vs shoot, get a bolt gun. It will save you $, ammo, frustration and make you a better shooter. If you want to spray,pray and play, get the semi.

FWIW, I've owned 3 10/22's that started out stock. All needed big $ to make them shoot decient. They are all gone now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
tra3, Im thinking your in Canada, since the one page you quoted had CDN. dollars, if so look at Lebarons fall supplement, they,re quite abit cheaper, the 597 goes for $161.45 CDN. and the 10/22 is $259.94.
I went with the 579, after alot of reading I think if I have any issues they can be remidied easily enough. I know the 10/22 is a good gun and I almost bought it, but for the price I thought Id give the 597 a try.

http://www.lebaron.ca/english/main.htm

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think he needs to specify 'target practice'....is this for hittin soda cans or for makin itty bitty groups off a bench? If all you're lookin for is a plinker, I'd go with the semi over the bolt....if you want tiny groups, get the bolt or plan to do at least some modification on your semi...my stock 10/22 (light modification, but hardly any money in it) will put em less than an inch at 50 if I do my part, which is good enough for rollin little critters and empty cans...and when you get the hankerin to put out a bigger target and just let 'er rip, that option is wide open with the semi, unlike the bolt...

shoey

·
Registered
131 Posts
Since this is your very first rifle I'd get a bolt action instead. Bolts hardly ever jam up, teach you to take your time, and help you with good shooting fundamentals. Bolts tend to be more accurate than autos as well. I think that the more accurate a gun is, the more fun it is. Its more fun to shoot at a small target once and hit it than ten times and never hit it. Missing a target alot is just plain boring. Almost everyone says that the cz bolt is a great gun. Also I've had good luck with Marlin bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey all thanks for the advice.
I ended up getting the remington and so far it seems like a good deal.
I got it for 189 CDN + tax. There's a $20 mailing rebate as well.

It seems like this thing is zeroed in at a 100 yards (that's what one of the guys at the range seemed to think) as I have to aim about 2" below the target at 25 yards. WIth such aim, I can cut down clays no problem at 25 yards. At 50 yards, I can barely see the target so my accuracy goes way way down.

I do like the "stay open" after the last shot, however it only works if there's a mag in there. If there's no mag, you can trigger the catch by putting your finger way inside chamber (bad idea).

The mag is rather ****ty. I can't tell whether it's metal or plastic, but it sucks. I had a couple of times where I was loading the rounds, the end of the most recent round would get stuck below the previous round. I had to grab my car keys and push it into place. ***?

I put about 100 rounds through. The accuracy is more than adequate. At about 20 yards I managed an 1/2"-1" group. Not surprising because it's close. There were no jams. There were 2 misfires which could've been caused by the reloaded ammo I was using. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. I think I'm going to add a scope (if possible) in a little while, 'cause 25 yards is a little too close.

Once again thanks to everyone who provided advice.

-t

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.