Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Richards Microfit Gunstocks

903 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Win52d
Does anyone have any experience with Richards Microfit Gunstocks? I would like to hear what you have to say. Please show pics if you have them.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
I have a Richards Microfit on my 10/22 magnum. I will have to take a few pics to post later.

Mine is a laminate stock. I had them fit it with a buttpad and swivel studs. It didn't drop in, but it only took about 15-20 minutes for everything to drop in place. That was going slow and easy.

The exterior is rougher than you might expect. If you think you will just hand sand and be done, guess again. A palm sander, a rasp, and lots of elbow grease will be required. One of those Stanley block rasps would be great.

The forend tip is not shaped, just cut off flat. That takes a bit of work to shape. The rest of the stock's outlines are there, but a bit rough, and some wood needs to be taken down to fit to the rear flow of the receiver.

I would buy another one in a heart beat, as they have patterns and options that are hard to find else where. Just be aware that it is not a 98% stock.

Otony

· Registered
295 Posts
I'm currently working on my 4th one. They are rough from the factory and need lots of sanding, and the last one I'm having some work getting the action to fit just right(trap plate/Trigger area). The look and feel are really nice after you finish, but plan on sanding and fitting, and sanding some more. But on the plus side, thats what I love about them. They are "my work" after alls said and done. And they are very impressive.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Like the other guys said...they require a lot of work sanding and fitting. Plan on spending some quality time with that wood but in the end it's a great feeling to have it done.

· Registered
562 Posts
I tried two and both were 110% inletted. :eek: I was expecting to remove wood, but I had no way to put it back. Seriously, both were way over inletted. Much looser fit than a factory stock, so I sent both back. I would like to try another some day because I really like the wildcat style, maybe I just had bad luck.

· Registered
4,871 Posts
I have a couple, and will buy a couple more as soon as I get the guns ready. The thing you have to remember about Richards is they are a custom stock. Where most stock companies have certain stocks for certain actions, with Richards you pick any of their stocks and tell them what action you want it inlet for. Which is why you end up with a lot of excess wood, the outside of the stocks have to be large enough that they can be inlet for the larger centerfire guns. Heres one of mine with a 93 Savage, .17HMR.

· Registered
286 Posts
I have 2 stocks from Richard's. The first I asssume was a return from another customer and the inletting around the trigger guard was overdone. I got it for $99 with the butt pad installed so I'm not complaining. The second stock is a factory second in exhibition grade walnut. Very, very nice! The only problem with it is the extra hole drilled in the bottom that the mag well will not cover. I'm still wondering why the hell they put it there but I'll find some way to cover it up. There is a small knot on the left side but this stock will look better than the wood on my Cooper LVT when it's finished. They aren't perfect but all you have to do if not satisfied is send it back. I don't think you can beat them for the $$$. Good luck!!

Dave M.

· Registered
3,017 Posts
Just received mine today

This will be my first attempt at finishing a stock. Haven't tried it on the action yet, but a couple of things did catch my eye. Stock is for a CZ4452 Lux, but has no hole drilled for the barrel lug.(Anyone have a spare CZ escutcheon laying around?)
And there seems to be a lump,bump, etc. on the left of the stock just below the receiver. Don't know why that wasn't brought down level with the stock.

Now to find the time to get started :rolleyes:

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So when I order a stock in lets say the Apache Gold color, it really is not that color? Or it is that but does not have a protective clear coat. If it is that color and a have to tweak the stock will the color be ruined?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

· Registered
109 Posts
utarch00,

The color of a laminate stock is derived by dyeing thin veneers of wood under pressure and then glueing them together under pressure. The Apache Gold Tac Driver that I have has about 35 layers of veneer (5 colors repeated 7 times). It is unfinished, raw wood. Sanding and applying finish coats do not affect the colors as far as bleeding. A clear coat over an unfinished stock will just enhance the colors. Hope that helps.

· Registered
388 Posts
I just received the Tack Driver in Apache Gold. Does anyone have any idea how they might have got the lovely honey color shown on their website? I'm sure that Tru-Oil will provide a little color but I doubt it will reproduce the color that Richard's site is showing. I agree with what others have said here...the stock is rough to allow you to custom fit and shape for a custom stock that is all yours (mine was still wet even after the cross country UPS sipping)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.