Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few references to replacing the butpad on the 452s, but no details.

I have a 452 trainer that has the hard plastic buttpad. Would a pad from a varmit fit? I understand it is a softer rubber.

Perhaps there is another that is better, any ideas? I don't like the way it slides on my shirt, or especially on the floor when you try and set it down.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
Are you looking for an exact fit? All the butt pads I have replaced or installed have had to be fit to the stock which requires some careful fitting so you don't mess up the stock, Duck tape works to protect the stock then I use a Disc sander.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
Another thing that might work is to get a butt pad you like and bolt the factory pad to the new pad and shape the new pad to the factory pad. This would definately save your stock from mishaps.

· Registered
978 Posts
I put some Pachmayr Decellerator pads on my Special and American. The pad I got for both was thick - maybe 1" to 1 1/4". I selected it to both increase length of pull as I am tall and also make the gun stick better against my shoulder. The difference is night and day with a nice soft and sticky pad compared to the hard slippery plastic.

I did not watch the installation process. The holes were the same location as the holes on the stock so I did not bother filling and drilling the existing holes but I did use the factory screws on it. I think the American buttplate was stuck on either from the finish seeping in or from an adhesive. In any case after the pad is attached then you need to grind off the excess plasic and rubber to get a good fit. I think you should use masking tape to cover the stock to give a little error room when grinding.

I am not sure which size I bought. A friend did the work and the results were great. The pad does change the geometry and weight distribution. The American, Special and Ultra are all nearly identical in lenght of pull but feel entirely different. They all fit me a lot better and the soft pad makes a huge difference when shooting.

· Registered
237 Posts
That brings up a question. What slip-on pads fit the rather small stock on the Scout? In particular, I'm interested in a really thick slip-on pad, at least an inch. I don't want to permanently lengthen the stock, or else our little boy wouldn't be able to shoot it any more, but a slip-on buttpad would make it easier for me and my wife to shoot it.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
what do you adhere the butt pad with??

i cut a new pad out of an old comp mouse pad for my rws air rifle by tracing closely around the stock... what would i use for the best adheisve to keep it on?

· Registered
106 Posts
treelogger said:
That brings up a question. What slip-on pads fit the rather small stock on the Scout? In particular, I'm interested in a really thick slip-on pad, at least an inch. I don't want to permanently lengthen the stock, or else our little boy wouldn't be able to shoot it any more, but a slip-on buttpad would make it easier for me and my wife to shoot it.
I use a small brown leather Pachmayr slip on recoil pad on my Scout to great effect; I bought it for less than $30 online. (link). The link shows the "Large" size; make sure you order the "Small" size, which fits the Scout perfectly.

The inside of the pad includes a 1/2" to 3/4" thick piece of cushioning. To get the pad to the length I wanted, I bought a pair of the thickest "Dr. Scholl's" "Double Air-Pillo" insoles I could find (link) -- they're about $4.00 at Target. I cut out a paper template sized to the interior of the pad, then used this to trace out 4 or 5 cutouts from the foot inserts. After cutting them out, I stacked them up against each other with double-sided carpet tape, strapped on the pad, and was ready to go.

This set up works great for me (the Scout is the only .22LR I own, and it's my primary weekend target shooting gun). With the "extended" Pachmayr pad, I now have an adult-sized LOP over 14"! ;)

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
soft rubber butt pads? guys these are .22s!!! i actually like the factory butt plate on the special, it grips my shirt well, and looks good too. i dont like slip on butt pads, they seriously distract the looks of the gun, but hey thats just me, i like clean lines...i think a butt pad like what comes on revival stocks is the most i would put on a RIMFIRE!!!!

· Registered
10,461 Posts
You can buy butt pads from Boyds gunstock company really cheap. I have used theirs in the past.

Also I have seen the slip on pads after they are on the rifle a long time they screw up the finish on the wood under the pad.

· Registered
106 Posts
The purpose of the rubber (or foam) butt pads is simply to extend the LOP, not to absorb "recoil" since .22LR's are recoilless.

I suppose I could have lined the inside of my recoil pad with 2 inches of steel, titanium, iron, or walnut ( ;) ), but using foam seemed like the lowest-weight approach to adding 2 inches of pull to my Scout.

· Registered
106 Posts
recumbent said:
...I have seen the slip on pads after they are on the rifle a long time they screw up the finish on the wood under the pad.
You are correct. I've seen lots of second-hand guns in pawn shops with messed up stocks resulting from rubber butt pads that were left in place permanently.

The nice thing about the Pachmayr leather pads is that you simply wrap them around the butt stock and then fasten them place (temporarily) with a velcro strap. This makes it trivial to put it on and take it off. When I go shooting with my 10-year-old daughter, she shoots the Scout with the factory 12" LOP, and when it's my turn, I can strap on the Pachmayr pad in about 5 seconds and I'm ready to go with a 14.25" LOP. The inside of the pad is soft leather so there's no risk of scratching, either.

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ArmchairBronco said:
The inside of the pad is soft leather so there's no risk of scratching, either.
Just be sure you keep it clean or it could still hold abrasives enough to mar the finish. Sounds like a good deal tho.

I originally was just looking for a "grabbier" pad, both for my shoulder and the floor where I lean my rifle. No it doesn't go back in the safe every time I shoot it. I might shoot 2-4 times a day.... pain to get in the safe every time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.