Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited an old Remington 511 from my grandfather. It had been sitting in the closet for many years, and needed some work. Well, after ordering several parts from Numrich, it is finally in working order. There is only one issue to clear up.

I was referred to this site by my local gunshop, he said you guys would be the ones to ask.

Here is the issue: When retracting the bolt, it simply slides right out the back of the receiver. I am guessing that there is a problem with the sear. When retracting the bolt, the trigger moves back just enough to allow it to be removed. If I engage the safety, it prevents the trigger from travelling enough to allow this to happen.

There is little value in this old rifle, and it would not be worth it to take it to a smith, but it does have sentimental value. I would like to get it in perfect working order, and this is all that needs to be done at this point.

I have taken it apart, but cannot see the problem. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
The underside of your bolt is worn from impact with the sear and this is the #1 drawback to the design. The sear acts as the bolt stop. Hard cycling beats the sear nose against the underside of the bolt. Take out the bolt and have a look. This is also what degrades the trigger pull on these rifles.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Punch out,
Check your email. Numrich ain't the only game in town. Their replacement(copy) bolt bodies are way overpriced.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
511 bolt

Guy from Louisiana has 513 bolts for sale on eBay on a regular basis. They will fit your 511. Shape of handle is a little different but they work fine. I bought one a while back for a buddy, that doesn't have internet hookup, and it was in good shape.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
After you get a 513 bolt, if you don't like the handle, it is relatively easy to change to the handle from your original 512 bolt. The handles are merely attached to a "sleeve" that contains the cocking cam slots. You just disassemble the bolt and reassemble with the old handle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
513T Bolt

Bought a 513T bolt for my 510 from Wonkyfrog on e-bay for $39. Have not been to the range yet, but it seems to function OK. In fact, the 513T bolt works smoother than my original 510 bolt. Even came with a brass headspace shim which I didn't need.

When I looked for bolts on CMP, they did not pop up. Appears they have restocked.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.