Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to fix a "Sears Model 25" rifle the other day. The rifle is actually a High Standard A1041 rifle. It operates exactly like the Savage/Stevens 87 series where the bolt stays open after firing until the trigger is released. After the trigger is release the bolt comes forward to feed the next round.

The rifle had a consistent problem with a feed jam. The bullet would jam nose-up, wedged against the top of the chamber.

These rifles have a top "bumper" or cartridge feed guide at the top of the chamber--it's basically a spring-loaded upside-down ramp to push the nose of the bullet down into the chamber. The spring above it, in my case, was rather mangled.

Upon disassembly I saw that someone had attempted to repair this before me. I removed the barrel--which was pinned in place by two roll-pins--and simply exchanged the spring with a good 1/8" diameter coil spring from Wolff's miniature spring pack.

Before reassembling, I took a small Cratex polishing bob and polished the upper guide ramp until it was absolutely bright and smooth. Then I polished part of the chamber and the feed ramp--which coincidentally also had a sharp step at the edge where it met the chamber..

Use no grinding stones because the chamber doesn't need to be "throated" or enlarged.

These rifles--which have the unfortunately (and undeserved) reputation of being a "jam-o-matic"--can be repaired if you troubleshoot and diagnose your problem correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's a very excellent history of their rifles. Didn't know the chronology of the specific models. Because of the similarity in design with the Savage 87-series, do you think High Standard purchased the patent rights for this rifle from Savage?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.