Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I just got in a new finished Fajen "Scope-High" midnight stock from eBay for a decent price.

The tinkerer in me won't leave enough alone, and I noticed a few small boogers of reddish-brown color in a few spots and want to get rid of them. They don't seem to be a part of the laminate, so I'm guessing I can squeek by with stripping the urethane and lightly sanding the boogers, then re-coating.

Not to mention I want to change the wood shape just behind the receiver. (lower the Fajen cut to sit equal to the top of the receiver) Yup, maybe I'm just too picky.

Ideas??

Then again, some of them candy apple and metallic auto paints are really tempting :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
refinishing

I refinished a Fajen stock. I was thinking about using some sort of stripper, but then I look over to the left of me and the trusty 60 grit sand paper was just sitting there. If you do go this route, you will have a considerable amout of resanding to get rid of the scratches put in by the 60 grit, but this also gives you the oppurtunity to fit the stock exactly to your reciever, barrel, and hand grip. I sanded mine back with 80, 100, 120, 150, 220, 320 then sprayed a poly in a can (matte). This gave me a finish that is very similiar to my KM77VT which is what I was going for.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
whatever you do, do not use chemical stripper.

it can make a complete mess of everything, it'll soak into the wood and just cause a disaster. I learned this from experience, now, anything that I'm refinishing, I'll take the time to use sandpaper, you get much better results.

RJ - you may want to try a palm sander type of deal to remove the finish, or those little sanders that they sell. I paid 15 bucks for my palm sander at a pawn shop, well worth it, but it won't do small areas.

for refinishing, Techshooter has me pretty much sold on his Arrow Wood finish, I can't wait to try it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.