Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

removing the second extractor

412 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  eljay
I'm looking for instructions on diassembling the 10/22 magnum bolt, and especially on removing the second extractor. I just got my VQ extractor, so I thought I'd take everything apart and clean it too.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Don't have complete dissassembly instructions for you, but removing the extractor is easy. Get a thin tipped #2 screwdriver or a icepick, push the plunger down into the bolt housing, then pull the extractor out of the side. Pretty easy once you get the trick of it down.

· Registered
275 Posts
abbaswede said:
I'm looking for instructions on diassembling the 10/22 magnum bolt, and especially on removing the second extractor. I just got my VQ extractor, so I thought I'd take everything apart and clean it too.
I, for one, don't know why you want to remove the second extractor. It does serve a useful function, and to remove it is to say that Ruger didn't know what they were doing when they added it. I know this goes against popular opinion but, were it me, I'd leave it alone. My 10/22 Mag works perfectly with it in place and, as I said, it does serve a useful function. I use a VQ extractor on the open side, the Ruger one on the off side. That's what I think is right, but by all means, go with what YOU think is right.
eljay

· Registered
2,758 Posts
eljay said:
I, for one, don't know why you want to remove the second extractor. It does serve a useful function, and to remove it is to say that Ruger didn't know what they were doing when they added it. I know this goes against popular opinion but, were it me, I'd leave it alone. My 10/22 Mag works perfectly with it in place and, as I said, it does serve a useful function. I use a VQ extractor on the open side, the Ruger one on the off side. That's what I think is right, but by all means, go with what YOU think is right.
eljay
Some aftermarket barrels don't offer the second slot for the second extractor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.