Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a barrel that got rusted out with some surface rust, I wiped it down in clp and it seemed to take care of the rust. Problem is, there are now a few black spots on it. I've tried using steel wool and CLP and it's not going anywhere, any ideas?

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are some acids which will remove the spots and rust from stainless steel, however it will make the stainless very shiny.

Try welding supply houses for such items. "Stainless Bright"

Be careful.

Dwight is correct. Any steel contact with stainless will allow the stainless to start rusting and most gun parts are 400 series stainless which has a higher iron content than 300 series and will rust if it is allowed to start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have used steel wool to remove rust from stainless steel with no problems later. After getting the rust off you must clean the area well and hit it with a bronze brush. Not the preferred method if you have a choice but better than letting the rust sit.

Go to your hardware store and look for some brass/bronze wool. It is softer than steel wool and does not promote rust and works great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no pitting, only the steel is black. The rust itself is removed, it's just the black dots. I'd use some type of metal polish but i'm not looking to have one big polished area and the rest matte. I might try the nickle idea, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We use scotchbright pads and simple green to clean Salt water corroded and lightly rusted SS tubes at work. There is also a process called "passivation" that has you bath the SS item in a mild acid solution to draw iron particals out of the surface. This cleans existing rust and prevents future rust for some time. Worjs great!
FWIW, the acid is only a bit milder than strong vinager .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.