Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to mount a Volquartsen scope rail on a Ruger Mark II competition. The rail interferes with the adjustable rear sights, so the sights must come off. I assume the rear sight is pressed into a dovetail cut. Can I just drift the sight out, or is there a more complicated procedure for removing the rear sight?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Sight Base Set Screw

SIGarette,
I assume the rear sight is pressed into a dovetail cut. Can I just drift the sight out, or is there a more complicated procedure for removing the rear sight?
Yes, there is a set screw [A06200] in the A 15901-200 Adjustable Rear Sight of the MKII Target* Pistols....! ! ;)
[ * Target, Bull, Competition, Gov't. Competition Models]

This set screw is located on the top of the left 'protective ear' of the sight base, forward of the sight blade. It must be 'backed-off' before drifting the sight base out from the left side...! ! :)

Hope this helps....! ! :)

PS: You are 'altering' an otherwise CA DOJ "approved" weapon...! ! :( :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even removing the set screw, the sight will be in there real tight, or at least mine was.... It took me a while to get mine out so I could mount my Red Dot.

PS: You are 'altering' an otherwise CA DOJ "approved" weapon...! !
Glad I live in AZ... we don't have to play those games..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Successfully removed!

Thanks for the help.
I had to beat on the sight a bit, but it finally came out after several sharp blows. The sight seems no worse for the wear.

Big Mike - Your Ruger tear down how-to's were a great value to me. I added a bunch of Volquartsen internals and without your detailed instructions, I'd still be pondering a bunch of parts strewn across my workbench. Thanks.

Re: CA DOJ, The hoops we have to jump through here to get something as simple as a .22 target pistol are ridiculous. Thankfully, removing a rear sight does not automatically make me a felon, but I'm sure we have some lawmakers working overtime to fix that! The sad part of it all is that the ever increasing list of regulations do absolutely nothing for public safety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drift from Left side??

Am I correct in how I understand which wa to drift the sight out:

(1) Back off set screw
(2) Using a punch, drift the sight out to right (drift from left side), where the set screw has to pass across the entire barreled action.

Just didn't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's right

You have it right Rob. The set screw on the left side of the sights traverses the width of the dovetail slot as the sight is removed. On my gun, the rear sight was press fit to the dovetail and it required a good bit of "persuasion" to remove.

SIGarette

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.