Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Years ago I found a very nice model 552 BDL (CW - Apr 1972) at a pawn shop for $175 with a rather cheap Western Field scope attached. It's a beautiful rifle with decent checkering, upgraded sights, and unmarked finish.

While the exterior was perfect, the interior was packed with spent powder residue. used but not abused. I completely disassembled it through trial and error, cleaned every inch, reassembled it and put it away.

Last week I decided finally to shoot it, and thought a "shoot-off" between my latest cobbled together 550-1 would be both informative and fun. This was what I found:

Accuracy - what we all strive for was a wash between the two. Neither are "target rifles" but accuracy for the two was about the same with the edge going to the 552. I used the same scope on both rifles and zeroed it in before comparing hits bench rested at 50 yards. With open sights the 552 would have come out on top by a wider margin, it's sights are just superior to the 550's.

Reliability - Excellent for both, no jams or problems encounted using Remington "Golden bullets".

Ease of operation - The 550-1 blows the 552 away here, I just don't like the left hand charging handle on the 552 and the loading/ejection port is just too small if you want to load a single round or clear a jam. Also I don't like the separate forestock on the 552, it's loose by a silly millimeter and bulky.

Ease of cleaning - Again the 550-1 shines. The 552 is much more difficult to clean from the breech while disassembly of the 550-1 is quite easy and straight-forward.

Appearance - Goes by a wide margin to the 552, wife says it's a "pretty" rifle, quite a compliment coming from her.

Some of this is quite subjective and personal preferance on my part, but I much prefer the 550-1 to the 552. Surprise :)

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
rsv
Thanks, I love these kind of field reports. Can you verify for us that the 552 does NOT have the floating chamber that is the 550's method of firing all three sizes auto style?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is no "floating chamber" on the 552 as constructed on the 550/550-1's. However it is advertized to fire mixed shorts, longs and long rifles like the 550. I didn't check either for shorts or longs, leaving that for a further evaluation.

I did notice that there was a distinct difference in the cycling/sound of each action when firing. The 552 cycles slower than the 550 and the action is louder - audible even over the report of the round, sorta like my old Stevens model 87.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 552 especially the upgraded BDL's but it is a pain to disassemble and reassemble.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I just this afternoon picked up a 550-1 that I used to own. Actually ownership has bounced back and forth betwee my brother and I for about 20 years. This is my second time to "own" it.

It is one of the later models with the grooved reciever. It is missing the shell deflector, but I didn't need it today. I did put 5 rounds downrange at 25 yds with the iron sights. The sights were plain enough, but I couldn't see the little red dots on the paper. I just aimed for the geometric center of the paper and the 5-shots were within 1" and maybe about 1" below my POA. The elevator ramp was missing so I dug one out of the parts bin; may have been the one it originally had. I'm happy with that. It's a good rifle.

Blue is turning brown and the shell deflector is missing and the toe of the buttplate is broken off. It looks kinda dirty inside and needs a cleaning, but it didn't miss a beat this afternoon.

I've owned a 552 as well and it is nice and the new BDL models are really lookers, but I just like the feel of the 550-1. I find it easy to shoot with the irons and with the grooves on this specimen, I can put a decent scope on it to help my poor aging eyesight. BTW, the 552 shoots s, l, lr interchangeably just like the 550-1, but does not have the floating chamber. I suppose it is a finely balanced inertia, spring, buffer arrangement that allows that versatility.

I had to trade off a 700 ADL magnum stock to get it, but at $64 for the stock, I think it was a good trade for both of us.

EJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.