Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired 3 of them them into a stack of wet computer paper, over 5" thick. All three penetrated, fully. I added more paper, and finally caught one. It mushroomed beautifully. A couple days later, I used them on 2 blackbirds and a one fat pigeon. Entrance wound was found on each of the birds chest. After feeling carfully with thin elastic gloves on, I could not see , nor feel any exit wounds. I don't understand this. I'm baffled! Could I still have missed the exits? Usually if you can find the entrance, the exits are even more noticable? By the way, all kills were within a yard of 35yrds. What do you shooters think?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pecci: Maybe a clean exit....it's there, somewhere. I never had a 22 stay inside a rabbit. Course, these were hv, but on a small animal I doubt it didn't go through. Do another test and let us know.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The Rem zipped through, completely w/out any fuss

Hmmm, I doubt that the body mass of said birds would pose sufficient resistance to the Rem Sub for expansion and no exit wound.

It is highly unlikely that the bullet remained in the body of these birds, hit @ 35 yards.

The exit hole was, probably, not large enough to be found without removing either a large amount of feathers, or following a prolonged and detailed post-mortem examination.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have shot some black birds with mine and they left a perfect golf ball sized hole in their chest, Maybe they just didn't hit enough bone. The pigeons I shot exhibited no odvious damage. Other than the fact that they were quite dead. Keep trying. I know that you will hate going through all the trouble.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I usually hunt with target or standard velocity ammo, I think everthing Ive shot, vermin and small game have exited, usually quite messy, head/shoulder shots. I think it probably exited with a small hole. Glad to see someone is helping control the crow population. We have too many of those winged rats.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Just go down to the farm supply store and buy a 17 gallon tin tub (or galvanized steel or whatever they make them out of now - metal! not plastic).

Go home and turn on your turkey fryer (if you don't use a 10" flange cover as a heating plate over the flame yet GO GET ONE - I didn't know to do this until my friend the chef showed me. The metal plate goes between the burner and your pot to give more even heat). Put the tub on the heat and fill it 3/4 the way up with warm water. Put in a squirt of dish washing soap and let get real warm (not boiling although in this case it wouldn't matter much.) When the water is nice and hot, hold the crow by the legs and swish him around in the hot water (don't burn your fingers!) After 20-30 seconds pull him out and flop in on some old newspapers - pluck the feathers and look for your holes.

:D :eek: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.