Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box today and the results were unbelievable. My 77/22 VMBZ and that 33gr V-max go together like peanut butter and jelly. After shooting other various types of ammo I was starting to wish I had got a 17 hmr instead. But now I am very happy with my 22mag. I am shooting 3/8" groups at 75 yards without any fancy rest and a stock barrel and trigger. I am sure an expert shooter would do even better. I think everyone should try a box.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
yea they are

a really good round, but man can they get expensive to shoot, the only place i have seen them is my favorite gun store( an hour away) for about $13 a box and they only ever have 2 or 3 boxes in stock at a time. this gets to be expensive shooting. I can get other decent ammo for a little over half the price, and the groundhogs are dead the same. If i was concerned with groups i would use them but for hunting wise, i'll try my luck with other ammo. I am gonna try winchester supremes when the weather warms some and see how they do.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only paid $20.50 for 2 boxes including tax. Maxi mags are about $7.50 a box. I think It's money well spent.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
$8.50/box here.

I gettem from my local shop, by-the-brick. $85.00 (tax included).

He gets customers driving up from Arkansas (1hr away) for them.

If you (the shooter) does your part....they won't let ya down!

Remington did a great job when they "improved" them.

The "original" Premiers were horrible!

·
Registered
534 Posts
My only gripe is that they should be able to bump up the speed a little. They chronograph around 2075fps out of my barrel but they could add another 50fps I would think. Man I'm picky! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
They are the best for accuracy that I have tried in my CZ American but they do have one major drawback. The last ones that I got cost me £53 for 250, thats over $75 I think, I tend to shoot more of my second choice, Winchester 34 gr they are not as accurate but they are only £10 - £11 for 200, so that makes them accurate enough:D

John

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
JohnB,

Did I already, in the past, ask ya this?

How about the German RWS .22WMR? They aren't worth the $23 per 50 price, over here. But, would they be less expensive on your side of the "big pond"?

I'd put them, accuracy wise, along with the Winchesters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chum_Bucket said:
I only paid $20.50 for 2 boxes including tax. Maxi mags are about $7.50 a box. I think It's money well spent.
Boy did I get a deal....

A local chain had Premiers on the shelf for $8.95 then ran a 20% sale on all Remington ammo. To top it all off, one of my hunting buddies works at one of the stores, so I had him pick them up for me and take advantage of his employee discount. Final price was $5.75/box. Sadly there were only 18 boxes to be had.

I did find another local shop that had Federal Premiums with the 30 gr. Sierra bullet on the shelf for $7.25/box and Winchester Supreme for $7.50/box.

All good shooting loads.

John in Oregon

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ski,

I can' remember if you asked me before or not so I will treat it as a "not".

I live up in the North of Scotland and up here WMR's are not that popular, now I know as Head Maggit you will find that a shock bur that's just the way it is. Consequently the choice of ammo is not that big. I can get plenty RWS for my lr but I prefer Eley, never have seen any for a WMR though. I dont mind as I hunt more than I punch paper so if it does an inch at 75 yds I'm happy. Which means the Winchester's are plenty good enough in my gun anyway. It has to be the 34 grainers though as the 40 gr's pattern like a shotgun. These are not the Supremes though that you get in the US here they are called a "Varmint " round,

Although they do have the same ballistic figures as the Supremes at 100 yds so chances are they are the same round. I did just get some Remmington 40 gr JHP but have not tried them yet, we have got winds between 60 and 80 mph just now, but it will get better.

I shall have to try and get a friendly gunshop owner to get me some RWS and maybe some CCI.

John

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's a friggin cool box there. They just come in a crappy cardboard box here. Looks like the exact same round as the Supreme. Ski, have you seen any or heard of any of the "new" Federal's with the Speer bullet? Every time I see a box I look and it is always the old Sierra round. Or did they scrap the whole thing - any news????

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
JohnB,

Gander's right!

Your "Varmint Round" looks exactly like our "Supreme".

No mistaking that wicked "serrated" edge around the hollow point.

Don't bother with the RWS, than. They won't perform as well as those. I was comparing the RWS to our "cheap" 40gr. Winchesters.

I don't mind those cardboard ammo boxes. Probably helps keep the cost down, takes up less space, Bio-degradeable. All my empties end up in the trash, anyway.

Gander,

The last time I "visited" the Federal website, they were just listing the Speer "Premium". I haven't seen any around, yet.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Gander,

When I was looking for info on the new Winchester .22WMR "Dyna-Points", I noticed they had an "Australian" website, also. I wanted to see if "our" DynaPoints was any relation to the "Aussies" bulk ammo.

As it was, that "Aussie" site was down and I couldn't look at it.

I just think "thier" and "our" ammo has different numbers.

JohnB,

In this pic, the "Supreme" is in the top row, 2nd from right. Our "cheap" 40gr Winchester is in the top row 3rd. from the right.

(The "cheap" Winchester isn't the same as the "Dyna-Point", I haven't seen any of those yet.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ski, Gander

I'm sure that you are right and these are one and the same cartridge. The ballistic's match, well from 25 yards they do, for some strange reason thats the starting point on the bottom of the "Varmint" box, all that room and they skimp on typing.

Here is the box in all it's glory, it is 200 round capacity, but as you can see Ski, we still get the cardboard.

I tried the Olin home site to see if I could find out, but all they do is link straight into the Winchester site. So I contacted Winchester and asked them. Don't ask me why it's not as if I have nothing else to do.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.