Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came into possession of a Model 33 (Standard). Overall it's in fair to good shape, but the stock has pretty many dings. Would the value of this old piece be diminished if I sanded down the stock and applied a couple new coats of varnish?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If this gun were in very good to exellent condition,I would say don't refinish.In the shape you describe,I don't feel it effect the value at all.I wouldn't use just varnish tho.I would use TruOil and it would come out much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The old Model 33 is typically worth no more than about $200 - $300 when I went checking last summer. My dad finally broke down and gave me the old Model 33A which was my grandfather's only gun, I guess he decided he could finally trust me with it now that I am 30. :)

Mine is in pretty bad shape cosmetically, the stock was refinished and the gun was re-blued about 30 years ago and the blueing is in need of attention again.

Functionally though the gun is in great shape and I can shoot some nice groupings with it. I was able to kill a few tree rats with it last year, so that's a bonus. The only reason I am considering moving it to semi-retired status is that I want a semi (torn between the 597 and a 10/22) because having a single shot in the woods is sometimes a pain in the rear.

Take your time with refinishing the Model 33, the gun will thank you with many more years of wonderful performance. I know mine will once I get it reblued.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Brumy, Remington 33's will always have a place in my heart, one was both my father and I's first .22. By all means restore the stock, do a search here on stock refinishing, there is some great info. I think you will be amazied how nice of wood was on these old Remingtons. I would suggest Formby's Conditioning Furniture Refinisher with steel wool to remove the old finish (this will also remove many of the dents without removing the stain) then a good steaming to remove the dent's (a good ironing with a cloths iron over a damp cloth will pull them out) Then tung oil to reseal. I would stay away from sandpaper if possible, usually is overkill and usually not necessary, you will see what I mean, post a picture of your finished project. Good Luck. Olypenn22

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.