Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington Model 12C price check

699 18
Remington Model 12C price check (pics added)

This gun is available to me locally. I don't know much about them but it looks like an interesting piece. The description reads as follows:

"Remington Model 12C from around 1919. in .22LR. Gun has very nice plum patina and no cracks in the stock. Nice octagon barrel. Mechanically the gun is good and the take down mechanism is tight. I shot this gun a couple of years ago (then it went on my wall). The bore is a bit dark but has strong rifling. Only problem is that some "expert" carved a bunny into the butt stock :-(
I need $175 in a cash and carry trade. Deal has to be closed before Saturday 4pm as I go on a business travel for 2 weeks."

What do you guys and gals think of this deal? I could post some pics if anyone really wanted to see them.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
57,970 Posts
This is what a $100 12A looks like, shoots great looks like heck, pays your money and takes your choice.

I wouldn't take twice that for it.

Gerald

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I bought it. Thanks for your replies and opinions. Paid $150.

I'm thinking about shooting it next weekend. Anything I should look out for or be aware of before shooting it? Any ammo restrictions. On hand I have 22lr in subsonic, standard vel. and high vel. I probably won't shoot it much but you never know. I plan to shoot it every once in a while and probably leave it pretty much like I bought it. I'll post some pics soon.

Matt

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Well I bought it. Thanks for your replies and opinions. Paid $150.

I'm thinking about shooting it next weekend. Anything I should look out for or be aware of before shooting it? Any ammo restrictions. On hand I have 22lr in subsonic, standard vel. and high vel. I probably won't shoot it much but you never know. I plan to shoot it every once in a while and probably leave it pretty much like I bought it. I'll post some pics soon.

Matt
Considering its stated condition, I would not use high velocity ammo. I use only std velocity in all of my M/12s. Save the high velocity ammo for a M/121.

For those of you who are interested in the M/12-CS, I chrono'd some of the newer WRF ammo a few years back. I don't remember the numbers, but it was definitely slower than the older ammo. Even with muffs on, I could tell the report was not as sharp.

I took a M/12-CS with a Lyman tang peep on a "digger" hunt. I wanted to see if I could shoot one with the old rifle. After getting one (maybe not the first one I shot at), I retired the rifle.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Check under the butt plate. Maybe the "engraver" left his name. I found one with the name and date (Oct 1932).

Otherwise, enjoy it as it is. I agree that you got a good deal.

The serial # should be between 487,227 & 572,735 if it's 1919 production.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check under the butt plate. Maybe the "engraver" left his name. I found one with the name and date (Oct 1932).
Just checked and got nothing, oh well

The serial # should be between 487,227 & 572,735 if it's 1919 production.
Should the serial number be on the bottom of the receiver and inside of the butt plate? If so, I've got 166,***

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The breaking point between 1912 & 1913 is 166,538 so you're on the bubble. The serial # should be on the bottom of the receiver and inside the receiver (seen only after taking it down).
I haven't looked inside the receiver yet but from the bottom of the receiver and the inside of the butt plate, I've got a 1912, sweet!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice looking gun! Even with the bunny on the stock.:D Actually that cottontail carving could look much worse and it adds a little historical "character" to the gun. :bthumb: I think the gun is a really nice find overall!!!:t

·
Registered
596 Posts
John Gyde, why did you

"retire" the M/12-CS ? Are you saying that it is not as accurate as you would have liked? or was it the ammo? I have about 700 rounds of .22WRF ammo I have collected over the last few years- some is quite old, and I have a 12-CS but have not fired it yet this year.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
"retire" the M/12-CS ? Are you saying that it is not as accurate as you would have liked? or was it the ammo? I have about 700 rounds of .22WRF ammo I have collected over the last few years- some is quite old, and I have a 12-CS but have not fired it yet this year.
It is retired only to the extent that it sits in my gun rack with my other M/12s & 121s. I have no idea how accurate it is. I have never put it on paper except to roughly sight it in. I am more of a collector than a shooter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.