Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with Remington Rimfire ammo with Misfires or duds?? I have had that problem with the golden ammo years ago so quit using it. Lately I bought a box of the 22 mag Premium VMax ammo and had a 9 misfires out of the box to me that is unaceptable and when you are paying 12 buck a box it is worse.How about the 17 shooters out there have you had any misfires with Remington ammo? I like the VMax bullet in the Remington ammo and it shot great accuracy wise but I would hate to depend on it for a hunting round if it misfires that many times out of a box of ammo. Jim

·
Registered
293 Posts
you had 9 misfires??!! I think you may need to check your firing pin because i have never heard of such bad results. I never had 9 misfires out of 2,000 Rem. thunderbolts.

TONY

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is nothing wrong with my firing pin all other ammo shoots fine and If you read my post you will have seen that I am *****ing about ammo the golden stuff that I had bad years ago and the premium stuff now. I will not use thunderbolts I had them lead up a Ruger Mark II so bad the bullets were keyholeing. It was because it was hot out and the lube was melting right off of the bullets. I only use 22 bullets now that are plated or I can feel the lube so I know the barrel is not getting leaded. I think Remington does not make very consistant 22 ammo. I do not have a problem with there centerfire stuff that seems to be fine. I have read before of Remington ammo having duds I just posted this to confirm it here. Also I heard that Remington pulled the Premier ammo account of bad priming. They then issued new stuff that is supposed to be better that is why I posted this post. I did not say I was using the thunderbolts I said I was using the premier which is a differnt deal altogether. I have had too many duds with the golden stuff years ago that is why I quit using it. Jim

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok, now that i've had my attitude fill for the day. I was making a point that 9 misfires is really bad. In your original post you said nothing about shooting other ammo fine, so me mentioning the firing pin was not out of line. I've also shot about 5 boxes of "NEW" premiers and i had ZERO misfires or underpowered rounds. maybe you should try to pull the trigger a little harder :p

TONY

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony, sorry, did not mean to come off with a attitude. I did not figure I had to explain that my fireing pin is ok as I thought the post made it clear that I have had problems with Remington Rimfire products over the years. If you have had good luck with 5 boxes of the VMax stuff than I will give it a try again I will not buy it where I bought my last box as they told me they do not sell as much or at least that is what one guy said I am going to check that out better. Sorry again you thought I had a attitude did not mean to come off that way. Jim

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's cool jim, it's hard to tell sometimes what people actually mean on the net. What kind of gun are you shooting? my marlin ss regular barrel likes them, even tho i think it's starting to get worn out (first rifle).

TONY

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Standard Henry 22 mag with a 3x12 Tasco scope it shoots well. Actually the premier ammo I shot in a Savage striker that I had the problems with misfiring but that gun shot all other ammo fine also. I got rid of it for the Henry as I did not like the trigger on the Savage. I would like to try some in my Henry I shot the last 2 shells I had and they shot great so I would like to try more but was hesitant if they still misfire as I want them for hunting loads. As long as you have not had any problems maybe I will try another box. Jim

·
Registered
217 Posts
My experience pretty much matches Jim's here ...

About 3 years ago I bought myself a 10/22LR, and the rest as they say is history. After a fun-filled year, I 'needed' something more so introduced Junior to Puff Daddy (10/22WMR).

Thanks to the LR, I was already a dedicated RFC 'lurker', and the Magnum forum pointed me in the direction of the Remington Premiers. Locating some turned out to be a bit of a problem because I'd dropped right into the 'taken-off-the-market' black-hole.
Eventually I managed to find TWO boxes of these hens-teeth ... one was GIVEN to me (with the words 'good luck' !), and the other one I purchased.

The first box (probably the older of the two), produced 2-3 squibs (failure-to-fire) per MAGAZINE. These could be ejected & reloaded, and maybe they'd fire the next time ... and maybe not.
The second box was better ... only 1 squib per magazine !

I've since bought several bricks of the 'all new & improved' Premiers and on the whole these are MUCH better, but ... I'm still getting an OCCASSIONAL squib (maybe 1 every 3-4 magazines).

And those all-important details ?
*polished action
*dri-lubed
*VQ exact edge
*VQ hammer kit
*standard firing pin (with a VQ on stand-by)
*cleaned after every session & stripped whenever the action starts to feel 'gritty'

Oh yeah ... AND I can shoot Win Supremes until the cows come home - before, after and DURING shooting the Premiers with ZERO squibs !

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Groucho, thanks for the post. I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks there should not be any duds for the price of this ammo. I contacted Rem and they deny that there is any problems with the ignition of any Rimfire round and wanted me to send them the box and any ammo I had left UPS??:mad: I emailed them back and said I did not have the box or any more ammo as I shot it and was not looking for a free ammo hand out from them but did want to know if any one else contacted them? They told me NO!! Ifind that hard to beleive after hearing stories on the internet about Rem RF ammo. I told them I sure as heck would not add to my expenses by sending them anything UPS:mad: Even if they sent me a free box of ammo if I had the box and unused ammo and sent it to them plus the price of the ammo I still would be in the minus column after shipping them the ammo:confused: :confused: I wish my gun liked the suppremes but it does not. I shot it at 50 and 100 yards and it was all over the place. switched back to some PMC and a box of old federal FMJ that was given to me and groups tightend right back up. Jim

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Lets make it simple for ya, Reminton ammo quallity control is just plain slack. They're big on the cost cutting (useing lead instead of copper electroless plateing) in their high velocity.
You cant tell the difernce between their subsonic and their cyclones, that can be some what dangerous.

·
Registered
793 Posts
As far as i'm concerned, Remington rimfire ammo is junk. Started having trouble with it about 20 yrs ago and quit buying it then.

A friend came up to shoot one day a couple of weeks ago and put a box of bulk golden bullet rounds on the table. We had one or two noticeably underpowered rounds per 5-shot magazine. Quit shooting it after a few mags each.

Still junk, I guess.

I don't care how inexpensive or spendy; this is ammunition not lollipops we're talking about here; something that explodes a couple of inches in front of your face---think about it.

The 17HMR stuff that says remington on the label is made at the CCI factory in Lewiston ID.

Lucky for us I'd say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.