Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a remington 700 22-250 that I want to turn into a 223. I already have a hs precision varmint contour stock. I am trying to pick which barrel to use...I see that Shilen and E.R. Shaw each make barrels. I want one in SS varmint contour. Brownelss sells the Shilen barrel that is designed for the 700. It states that I need to do some reaming. I have never done anything like this, I'm looking for a little help. I am kind of lost guys...really appreciate your input.

Will the 22-250 action be interchangeable with the 223 barrel? Thank you for your help

Brian

·
Registered
686 Posts
"Will the 22-250 action be interchangeable with the 223 barrel? Thank you for your help"

The 22 250 uses a different bolt than the 223. The 223 also uses a different fowler and spring as will as a spacer that the 22 250 does not use. Unless you got a good lathe the right tools and knowledge chamber reaming a high powered bottle neck case should be left to a GOOD gunsmith. Some of real good aftermarket barrel makers such as Hart, Shilen , and Pack Nor will chamber their barrels if you send the gun into them. But it might be better to buy a 223 because you are lacking the right parts such as bolt ect to just to have yours rebarred.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Defently let an experisenced gun smith do this. You will have to check the go-nogo gauge, get a reamer, and other things. Most gun smiths will only charge $100-200 to install the barrel and do it correctly. I would also go with a heavy recoil lug. I thing that is what it is called. It goes in between the barrel and the action. Good luck. And yes you will have to get a different bolt. I use a score high single shot fallower in my 700VLS.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.