Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Pros.

I have a Remington 597 Magnum (the .22 WMR) that I’ve owned for what must be about 20 years now. Neither here nor there really, but it means something to me and I’m putting some time and money into enhancements now. I’ve found what looks like the standard updates people talk about (Volquartsen action kit, enhanced mag springs from M*CARBO, Boyd Stock, etc.) so I’m feeling pretty good. I’m going to put a new barrel on it too, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what to do with the breech face. I‘m probably describing that wrong but I’m talking about the part shown on the right side of the barrel pictured here:

Office supplies Font Rectangle Titanium Metal

Planning ahead, I have no doubt I’ll need that but I can’t find the part listed separately from the barrel assembly anywhere. Is that piece just going to be threaded on to or compression fit to my old barrel? I don’t have it right now or I’d try to pull it apart and figure out what the deal is.

The other pressing issue is magazines. Yikes. There is one that I can find that is just sitting on eBay for $185. What do other 597 Mag owners do to keep stocked up on magazines? I’m thinking I may have to break one of mine down and have it scanned and 3D printed or I’m SOL, but if any of y’all have a suggestion short of that I’m interested in seeing it.

I understand this is not the most efficient thing to do, but nostalgia is a hell of a thing. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and direction.

·
Premium Member
38,290 Posts
Welcome to RFC B3.
Try Optics Planet for the mags.
Dunno how the breech block/lug is attached to the barrel. If you know any old gunsmiths one should know if no one here replies.
ETA~ My VQ 22 barrel came with the breech lug already attached so they should know. I'm going with press fit and glued being a mass production gun.

·
General Nuisance / Major Indifference
14,270 Posts
Welcome

any aftermarket 597 barrel will have the breech block already installed. It’s not something you swap barrel to barrel it’s attached.

be very very very very very very extra careful when you install the new barrel DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT. Maybe 10 in lbs if you crack the receiver (easy to do) you will be out of luck. When they crack they are garbage.

sorry can’t help you on mags but they will come down in price

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the feedback. Particularly with not over tightening. I don’t want to add another part to the list at this point.

I may have to explore the 3D mag situation then. If it works out I’ll update the post to share the specs just in case there’s other Insane-O’s like myself looking for a solution. It is plenty easy to find a spring. Hopefully more to come...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey definitely listen about the over tightening. My receiver cracked on Friday and its a PITA. It must have been half lb from snapping and when I was at the range the jolt or something made it crack cause I heard when it happened.

As for the mags I just saw a guy on ebay selling some for the magnum but they are clearly 3D printed. I believe I saw a few on gun broker also but prices seem ridiculous.

To me this clearly looks 3D printed so I dont think its anywhere near worth that price BUT I dont have a WMR to compare it to.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts