Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 581 vs Anschutz 1416 D KL

477 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  stickboy101
.............And the winner is.........................Well, there wasn't much of a "winner" or maybe I should say, there wasn't much of a "loser" on this match-up at the rifle range today.

The Remington 581 has a modified, 3.75 lb trigger pull, and wears a Burris 3X9X40 scope in burris mounts. I paid about $139 for the used, like new, rifle just about 5 months ago!

The Anschutz 1416 D KL is brand new. Paid $635 for it just a month or two ago. It HAD a Swift 4X12X40 scope on it, but I switched that out yesterday for a more compact and slender Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5 X 7 X 28 mm scope in Leupold mounts. NO DIFFERENCE in group size now, over group size before with the 12X. By the way, read my post in the SCOPE THREAD, about my thoughts on the Weaver. It's VERY VERY GOOD!

Anyhow, the Remington 581 preferred CCI Standard Velocity, and clustered 4 out of 5 shots into .3 inches, and the 5th round opened it up to about .5 inches.

The Remington 581 shot the Wolf Match Target into about .8 inches overall.

Everything was done at 50 yards on the range.

My Anschutz 1416 was just the OPPOSITE in preference. It preferred the Wolf Match target with 5 rounds in about .8 inches. 4 of those 5 were probably at about .4 inches

The 1416 shot the CCI Standard Velocity into about a .9 inch group overall.

It is so funny to me, when I look at the Remington and Anschutz groups, They look SO CLOSE to each other, but with just the opposite ammo preferences.

Obviously, the 581 is NOT nearly as well machined or finished as the Annie, and I DO LIKE THE ANSCHUTZ A LOT.....................but, there is also a LOT TO BE SAID for the fact that my $139 dollar Remmy actually outshot my Anschutz, by just a "tad" and this is not the first time that's happened.

The old Remington's sure are superb values. I would love to get a mint condition 582 some time. Maybe next year.

Anyway, just thought I'd share! Keep those Remmy's hummin' cause it's awfully hard to better the older bolt-guns by much, if any, and you've got to pay a heck of a lot of money, just to give them a "run for their money!"
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
I've had my 581 since I was 12 years old. Mine prefers CCI Standard Velocity also. These are great rifles. Mine is completely stock with no modifications and wears a Tasco 3-9x42 in Leupold rimfire rings. Nice shooting. Keep it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.