Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't check prices very often on these rifles. What is a typical range of prices being asked (and paid) for both the 541-S and 541-T these days? What about the heavy barrel version of the 541-T? Assume 98% or better condition as I doubt I'd consider one that wasn't in good shape.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There seems to be a difference in pricing between the -S and -T models. Most seem to prefer the 541-S.

I bought a 541-S like 10 years ago for around $400. It was and is nice. I was in a gun shop and they had a 541-T for $400 and this is 10 years later. It was essentially in new condition (no box). I put it on layaway, thinking they were selling for around $550-600 and I want one of these too. I keep thinking there is something wrong here as the gunshop knows the market. Checked out fine, but obviously I have not shot it. So are the -T models selling in the price area I thought or is that only the -S Custom's?

I am not looking for folks to tell me I got a real deal. I'm comfortable with the price and have no plans on selling it or the 541-S. I just like Remington rifles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The "S" model commands the most both for aesthetics and accuracy. Truly a fine looking and extremely accurate rifle. Typically in the $600 - $750 range is what I've seen recently. I have 3 of the "S" models and they all gobble up whatever I feed them and spit them back out into a nice dime sized circle.

The "T"-"H"eavy "B"arrel verson goes for $400 - $550 from what I've seen. Not as fancy, but the 2 I own have accuracy on par with the "S" models. Nice rifles and mechanically equivalent of the "S" without the grooved receiver.

The "T" sporter seems to be the most hit-or-miss out of the bunch. Ranges are slightly higher than the T-HB $450 - $600 range but many had accuracy issues out of the box. I believe Remington went to a dual set screw setup and that improved accuracy. I have of these also but have not shot it yet.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

it seems the price of the 541 is a constant range of 450-550 dollar range for the T and heavy barreled versions, with a new in box with papers commanding a premium. The S version in my opinion and I have and shoot all three versions is the most desirable to have. The S will start at 600 dollars and if you are lucky enough to find a new one in the box with the papers it will fetch at least 900 dollars or more. The 541-S always seems to fetch some good money. There is a buyer on gunbroker who seems to buy up all the new and like new 541-S. Therefore the price is always high.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
541'S and T's

As already been noted the S' is the most desirable the Standard T and the HB in that order.
The prices are all over the place on the S' from $600-800 the T standard are $450-600 and the HB are $400 - 600. In my honest opinion the S' are 98% sure be to be accurate 3/8" or better at 50yds. The standard T' will do that 70% of the time . The worst one's that I have shot/owned are the HB's they struggle to shoot 1/2" consistantly.
I believe you are better to "Cry Once" on a S' than take the other route.
I have two 581's that will outshoot any HB that I have EVER shot and they are BOX stock except for adjustable triggers. You can buy a $400 504 bed it ,trigger job and aftermarket bbl and be hard pressed to shoot better groups than a stock S'
Thanx,
Jim :Blasting_

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with Hippy

Of all the 22's I have owned in my 60 years, my 541-S is the best, and that is saying a lot, because I have had many great 22's and still have several of them.

By the way, I have a friend who has a NIB 541-s that he is interested in selling! I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

Longbeard

·
Registered
472 Posts
A couple of things to be aware of as the 541 series is not without fault.

First, the plastic magazine they use is average at best. And the 10 rounders tend to spit bullets out like a popcorn machine if you hit 'em just right.

Also, the action isn't real smooth. Functional, yes, but not overly smooth. I think the 504 actions, Win 52s, etc are much smoother than the 581/541 setup.

With that said, I love 'em! I've got 7 of them and a 581 Voelker .17HM2 conversion with a heavy barrel and a 541 stock. The triggers are easy to tune and they can be superbly accurate.

What's funny is I totally agree with Hippy when comparing the 504 to the 541. SOOOoo true how much more accurate the 541 is.

I will also say that maybe I got lucky but my T-HB models shoot extremely well.

Here's a pic of one of my 541-S models:

Not a bad looking rifle if I do say so myself... :bthumb:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have owned several 541 "S" and "T" models over the years, and also own at present a couple of 581's. The "S" models do seem to command the best prices. One of the problems with the "T" models, is that somewhere during the production, Remington ceased using the match chamber reamer, and just punched them out with the sloppier standard chamber. This affected the accuracy. Most of the 541 HB versions do not have match chambers. I presently have two 541's: an original "S" model with a trigger job and the second action screw added. It is wonderfully accurate, and I would not think of selling it. My "T" is an early production sporter with the match chamber. Believe it or not, it will outshoot my "S"!!, so you can get an idea how accurate it really is. I also own a Finnfire, a couple of 52 Winchesters, an Anschutz (54 action), 2 CZ's, a 504 with a Lilja match EPS barrel etc, etc. Accurate rimfires are my passion. On a given day, my 541T will shoot with any of these, and in fact, I have won 100 meter benchrest matches with it on more than one occasion.
They may not be the best there is, but a good one sure will shoot! Regards, Eagleye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.