Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother-in-law dropped off a 512 that his neighbor gave him. It has some surface rust on the barrel from storage but everything else including the stock looks as new, but it has a missing bolt. I ordered one from GUN PARTS/NUMRICH ARMS. When I tried to put the bolt into the reciever (precocking it per NRA Assembly Book) it jammed on the ejector and reciever insert. I had to remove the ejector, and related carrier parts in order to remove the bolt.

Does the 512 use a different bolt than the 510, 511?

Has anyone had any problems with the bolt sold by Gun Parts?

Any help offered will be appreciated.

Super-X 1

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
The bolt should be the same. Did you pull the trigger to ther rear while installing the bolt? This will lower the sear out of the way because it acts as a bolt stop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ralfus,

Yes, I did pull the trigger- I ended up removing all the internal reciever parts- trigger, lifter etc. The front part of the bolt does not sit "level" with the extractors at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions when the root of the bolt handle and locking lugs enter the reciever. I thought that the ejector had shifted and was preventing the bolt from traveling foward, but the bolt edge hits the reciever insert/cartridge guide and stops.

This is frustrating in that a bolt action is a simple design and the bolt should just slide into the reciever. I am also working on a gun that had the bolt missing; was it due to a mechanical functioning problem or misplaced by the previous owner?

I appreciate your response, often it is the simple things that get overlooked.

Super-X 1

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After disassembling the bolt, I found out that there is a fitment issue with the bolt handle and related parts. The bolt does not fully cock, you have to play with it to work. I was hesitant to disassemble a new bolt in case I had to return it, but had to know what was the problem. Gun Parts/Numrich makes this bolt as a new item, apparently there is a tolerance issue in the bolt handle/cocking piece.

I appreciate your response Ralfus, it made me reconsider my plan and recheck things.

Super-X 1

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Make sure that the bolt handle is rotated upward enough in relation to its position on the bolt body. Clamp the bolt body in a padded vise and you may find that the handle will rotate further than expected, thus rotating the bolt to the correct position to align with the receiver parts.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Ralfus said:
Make sure that the bolt handle is rotated upward enough in relation to its position on the bolt body. Clamp the bolt body in a padded vise and you may find that the handle will rotate further than expected, thus rotating the bolt to the correct position to align with the receiver parts.
I think Ralfus has the key to a successful resolution to your problem, these can be tricky. Numrich goes to great lengths to supply parts to us hobbiests, altering some existing parts to fit older rifles and actually constructing new parts. But they will stand behind their products and will exchange or replace parts if required.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rsv1mos and Ralfus,

This is exactly what was occuring! The bolt handle would not rotate far enough to allow the bolt to line up with the reciever. A friend of mine stopped over to go woodchuck/groundhog hunting and wanted to see the rifle. We ended up tinkering with it and got it to work now. I hope that I can return this to my brother-in-law and have an old gun in use again.

I appreciate your correct diagnosis and replys.

Now, if I can get the cartridge lifter parts back in and timed correctly..hmmm.

Super-X 1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.