Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm refinishing a stock for a friends Rem. 788. It's a labor of love 'cause I used to have one like it but it was stolen in a burglary years ago. Refinishing that stock and putting a pistol grip and forend cap on it was my first project on any rifle stock. He gave me the action to bed and I noticed the trigger is terrible. No creep but about 3 1/2 lbs of pull. Too much. Are there any aftermarket triggers (same quality as a Kid maybe?) made for the 788? If not, can anyone recommend someone to do a safe job on it? I'd like to see a pull between 1 1/2-2 lbs.

Thanks for reading.

·
36,633 Posts
Mine has a Canjar trigger, safe down to several ounces. Don't know if they are still available.

Yes they are reworkable. I put sear engagement screw, weight of pull screw and overtravel stop screw in one back around 1980. Polished the engagement and got to safe 2 lbs...lot of work but very rewarding.

I think Timney may still make triggerd for them too.

Mine was my first center fire rifle and was purchased new in '77 or so. Still shoots easily under .5" and will often see a .3 or so. 5 shots @ 100. Glass bedded, barrel lapped and crowned.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, ask and you shall receive! Thanks for the responses.

Pdwight, it's a nickname given to me by my R/C pilot friends-it stuck.

Vincent, it was my first centerfire rifle too. I was into handguns when I bought that Rem. I was simply amazed at the round. Explosive. The police recovered my Sako Finnbear from the burglary but my beloved 788 was gone. Then I found out they were out of production. Actually I wish I'd gotten it back instead.

txtrophyhunter, I'm calling Timney in the A.M.

Thanks a bunch folks!

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.