Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently acquired a 597 in 22long rifle.
how far back from the front of the synthetic green stock can you slide a 1 bill between stock and barrel? from the front of mine, i can slide the bill only about 2inches back toward the receiver underneath the barrel until it sticks.

i was thinking it was free floated all the way back to the receiver?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stratcat,
thanks for the input. the stock,factory barrel sits on the syn stock i reckon.

what material did you use to bed the "cells" in the stock?

my stock is open cells with the syn. material forming a web with open spaces between the webs.

so far, it shoots ok with minimags but is not a barnburner. i had thought a 1 dollar bill would slide from the front of the stock all of the way to the rear. Not so.

thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info on the 597. i might sand some out of the channel. the stock looks pretty thick at the edges, so some sanding wouldn't hurt. it shoots fairly well, will use as a plinker and squirrel gun.

was thinking might pour some expoxy or bedding compound into the open cells adjacent to the reciever under the barrel. would shift the balance a bit and should stiffen it a bit, although the design seems to be sufficient as is.

what kind of scope mt. have ya'll used? i was thinking of a 3/8 inch grooved rings because the screws in the top of the receiver might not hold much? if i got aweaver base i'd probably glue it down to the top of the receiver permanently as well as using the factory pre-drilled holes for the base.

i want the scope to be down as close to the barrel as possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Barry

How does your riflle shoot after the scraping on the barrel? if you see an increase iin accuracy, think i'll do the same.

i've acquired a tasco world class 3x9 scope with military dot. recticle to put on it. havn't settled into a set of rings or base yet.
probably go with steel rings for the grooved dovetail..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barrel channel

Barry, Yes. Barrel Channel. that's what i get for being in a hurry and not proofing. you scraped the barrel channel, and i'm thinking of doing the same.

=i'm liking this 597 better every day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.