Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently acquired a 597 in 22long rifle.
how far back from the front of the synthetic green stock can you slide a 1 bill between stock and barrel? from the front of mine, i can slide the bill only about 2inches back toward the receiver underneath the barrel until it sticks.

i was thinking it was free floated all the way back to the receiver?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
do not float it all the way to the reciever. The reciever is aluminum and won't support the weight of the barrel.

I bedded mine about two inches past the reciever and the rest floats. Give that a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised I think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stratcat,
thanks for the input. the stock,factory barrel sits on the syn stock i reckon.

what material did you use to bed the "cells" in the stock?

my stock is open cells with the syn. material forming a web with open spaces between the webs.

so far, it shoots ok with minimags but is not a barnburner. i had thought a 1 dollar bill would slide from the front of the stock all of the way to the rear. Not so.

thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here is what I have gathered from the 597. Though the receiver is "pot metal" there should be no concern about stressing the receiver. The barrel mounting on the 597 is far superior to a 10/22. I floated my barrel clear to the receiver. I asked Volquartsen about this when I ordered my carbon fiber barrel from them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Gander is probably right on the reciever material, I haven't touched my 597 in months and was working from memory. Gander, how is that carbon fiber barrel for the 597?

I don't have a synthetic stock, I've got the laminate so bedding was easy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Stra - I don't know yet!!!! I have about 2-3 more finishes to put on my Boyds Ross Thumbhole before I throw it all together! I think it is going to look fantastic and hope it shoots even better. Keep a watch on the Remington forum as I will post my pictures there in about 2 weeks. Laters.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
a thumbhole for the 597? :confused: (this is gonna cost me money :D)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, mine is a pepper laminate that I bought unfinished for like $80 from Boyds as they discontinued them. You should be able to get one from Boyds as soon as they get their custom shop up and running though. Wait till you see this bad boy put together, it looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
WoodsWalker,

When i bought my 597 with syn. stock more then two years ago it was also partially free-floated. Now i have laminated stock with the heavy barrel channel contour which makes it truly free floated all the way and have no problems with it. Don't worry it will not break the receiver in two.

Halik

·
Registered
534 Posts
OOOOOOHHHH Stracat, I just checked Boyd's and they still have a pepper finished and a Nutmeg unfinished! Just trying to help you spend your money!!!:D :D :D Just givin ya heck, the laminate stock you have is nice

Woodswalker, BTW when mine was still in the factory configuration I just took a dowel of the appropriate size and sanded away until it was TRULY free floated. As a matter of fact I still have my factory synthetic stock if you want to purchase it, as it would be MUCH easier to send me cash rather than to sit and sand for like 15 minutes.:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info on the 597. i might sand some out of the channel. the stock looks pretty thick at the edges, so some sanding wouldn't hurt. it shoots fairly well, will use as a plinker and squirrel gun.

was thinking might pour some expoxy or bedding compound into the open cells adjacent to the reciever under the barrel. would shift the balance a bit and should stiffen it a bit, although the design seems to be sufficient as is.

what kind of scope mt. have ya'll used? i was thinking of a 3/8 inch grooved rings because the screws in the top of the receiver might not hold much? if i got aweaver base i'd probably glue it down to the top of the receiver permanently as well as using the factory pre-drilled holes for the base.

i want the scope to be down as close to the barrel as possible.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i used tasco grooved rings ($12) and Simmons 4X32 8-point scope (either $29 or $39) and I'm very happy with both. My 597 is a hunting plinking gun.

halik

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used the Leupold one-piece base and rings for my scope. You are right though, don't over torque those receiver screws or you will strip them out. Some of us learned the hard way. :(

·
Registered
554 Posts
Floating

I looked at my syn 597 last night and the barrel is not supported by the ribs below it. The only part of the stock touching the barrel was one side of the stock. So with trusty carpet knife in hand I floated it all the way to the receiver and removed all of the excess material at the mold lines of the stock. The way to do it is not to use the knife as a knife but as a scraper. Gently scraping the plastic with the knife produces a nice finish and removes the material a little at a time.

Barry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Barry

How does your riflle shoot after the scraping on the barrel? if you see an increase iin accuracy, think i'll do the same.

i've acquired a tasco world class 3x9 scope with military dot. recticle to put on it. havn't settled into a set of rings or base yet.
probably go with steel rings for the grooved dovetail..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry, I don't have much to reference against. I'd only taken it to the range once pre-floated and that was a windy day.

I'm sure you did not mean what you wrote, but I was not "scraping on the barrel" I scraped the plasic of the stock. I know that was what you ment to say, I just did not want your comment mis-leading others.

Barry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Barrel channel

Barry, Yes. Barrel Channel. that's what i get for being in a hurry and not proofing. you scraped the barrel channel, and i'm thinking of doing the same.

=i'm liking this 597 better every day!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts