Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this gun thrown in on a swap for nothing a couple of years ago. Stock had been broken from behind trigger guard to back of grip and very scratched up. Metal was good as well as the bore. Rear sight missing and front broken off half way down. Owner used it as a single shot cause he lost the mag also. The gun was all taped together at the crack. And, the bolt would come out every time the bolt was pulled back. That was why the stock was cracked. He had hit a tree with it when the bolt kept coming out.
Anyway, I found a mag with no problem at a show. Glued stock with epoxy and refinished in Tru-Oil. Could not solve the bolt problem the right way so I drilled a hole through the bottom left of the receiver, threaded it, and cut a machine screw to length to stop the bolt at the time of ejection. Had to modify one series of the bolt lugs a little. with plenty more, it would not matter much. Chiseled out a little wood for the screw head. I was right. The gun worked great and with a 4X to top it off it would shoot 1/2 inch groups with no other mods. It worked so good my father in law "borrowed" it. Well, he needed a single shot for the grandkids now so I got an old used Marlin, refinished it and swapped him back for the Rem. 581. I shot it some more and I like it. I had intended to swap it off.
My question is where to get a good used original stock, CHEAP. The one I have works fine and looks o.k. but a nice one would be better or maybe someone could suggest some sort of refinish that would cover up the whole gunstock. I have not done any exept for stain and oil or flat black, but I have seen some donw in something that feels like a rough epoxy. It looked like a spray on finish. I don't know what it was but it worked well. It was on a used 10/22 I had bought. Maybe some camo? I really prefer nice walnut, but hey it's a Frankenstein gun and didn't cost anything but the price of a used mag. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Noboody,
The stock looks good. i like the cheekpiece. That 10/22 that I had was done for lack of a better description, a pebbly feeling coating that had to be a spray on. If I remember right, it was a red/white combination. It could have been one color with the other fleck sprayed over it like what you did with the trunk spray. I got that 10/22 in pieces also for 40 bucks. The guy had done the stock and faild to mask off the receiver area and the barrel channel. He had the front sight area turned and finished smooth and a scope and rings, buttplate, and a receiver all loose in a plastic gun case in a show. He had given up on it and no one would give him anything for it. O.K. with me I had it all back together and fit to the stock in less than an hour. It looked good. Sold it for some good $.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.