Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

rem 513t Military stamped

451 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  reddogge
Anyone know about how much one of these is worth in 90% condition? Has anyone mounted a scope on one? Also what in the world would the military use these for back in the day?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,290 Posts
If it is old enough to not be grooved, use Weaver #43 bases. Not sure what the military used them all for but my son-in-law used a military stamped one as part of an ROTC shooting class in college. Value seems to be based on condition and I can't help with that as I don't have a new Blue Book, but from what I've seen in the past, it's not quite as good for Military stamped ones as civilian models of equal condition.

· Registered
5,061 Posts
Asking prices vary by region but selling prices for excellent rifles of military usage are around $350 and up if original. Drilling and tapping an excellent condition rifle will actually lower it's value a little. Many of the 513s have been rebuilt and refinished over and over again. Most of the stocks have been sanded and reprofiled too. If the stock bears an ordnance wheel stamp (crossed cannons in a circle) and a high comb then the stock may be original.

They have quite a following as does the rest of the 510 family.

The military used them to teach marksmanship fundamentals and augment the .30 cal service rifles, saving more M1's and 30/06 ammo for the war effort during WWII.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep it has the orginal stock, only reason to tap it would be if I was going to shoot it. My 2500 buck anshutz puts this old boy in its place, but if I got rid of the redfeild peep sights this could make for a very acuruate hunting rifle.
Oh and just an interesting tid bit. I asked my older brother about it (curently serving in Iraq, 3rd Ranger Bat) he said that he saw a few in one of the armory's back in the states.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
A 90% gun doesn't really have value as a collector so if it were mine, I'd D&T it, put a scope on it and shoot it. Trigger adjustment isn't the best on 513Ts but they are better than most sporters. Rifle is a little heavy for hunting but will make up for it in accuracy. If you have the post inserts for the front, it wouldn't be bad with the Redfield left on for hunting. Inserts come up on eBay pretty often.

· Registered
618 Posts
I used a 513T in the National Guard, after I got out of the Regular Army. We used them on the small bore team to compete against other units on the east coast. I think the armory had 6 or 8 of them. I bought 5, 513T's from CMP, a couple years back. Rifle,sights,sling, shiping came to about$200. each. Bob.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Considering only 69,000+ made for the WW2 contract from 1941 to 1944 makes it a bonafide war artifact so D&Ting it would result in one less surviving example in the world. You can see the similar results of such modifications of those "old war rifes" in any gun shop in the form of sporterized Springfield 03's and Model 1917's. It's enough to make a collector sick. But hey, it's your rifle.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.