Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MK IV 22/45 lite that I have customized pretty thoroughly and I am beginning to have reliability issues with. My issues are mostly FTF with the nose of the round jammed into the top of the chamber. The case ends up bent. Sometimes I will also have a FTE and I fire on an empty case. I'll squeeze the trigger and hear the click. Cycle the bolt by hand and the empty case ejects.
Mods that I have done are Volquartsen firing pin and extractor, adjustable recoil spring kit, Volquartsen magazine release,TK flat trigger, TK magazine green springs, Volquartsen and TK magazine base plates.I have tuned the magazines as per TKs youtube video. I am getting near my breaking point with this gun. I really like the utility of it, but the reliability is terrible. I have 5 mags that I've polished the hell out of and a gun that I've thrown a bunch of money in aftermarket parts at to no avail.
I shoot suppressed 100% and only cci standard velocity.
Any advice or suggestions on a reliable alternative?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't shoot suppressed, but did suffer some of the same problems, which I attributed to the bolt not cycling fully to the rear... enough to partially strip a cartridge and produce a feed way jam, and occasionally not resetting the hammer...

I solved my problem with the lightened recoil spring you have installed

a good friend had a similar problem, and traced his to having the trigger over travel screw and take up screw too light, with not enough engagement...

my problem was easily diagnosed by using high velocity CCI Blazer to provide more recoil energy... we swapped bolts between my MKIV Lite and his, mine with the lightened recoil spring installed... did not matter what ammo, so looked elsewhere... the adjustment of trigger stops (takeup and over travel) at this time seemed to have cleared up the problem...

make sure to lubricate the well the hammer main spring is located in... I run a drop of so down the strut every month or so

regards Les

·
Premium Member
35,421 Posts
Sounds like the cartridge is not sliding up the bolt face under the extractor like it is supposed to causing the bullet to feed nose high. Try reinstalling the Ruger extractor and see how that works. I'd also try some fresh unmodified magazines.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Mike has some good suggestions.

Unless TK has changed their extractor recently, the bottom of the hook is squared off. That can impede feeding up onto the bolt. You should round over that squared "harpoon tip". Don't get carried away - it should look something like this when you're done:

New mags benefit from cleaning and polishing, but the feed lip rounding reduces reliability in my experience. I traded away 9 mags that had the lip mod done for 3 that had not. It was a good trade IMO.

Don't forget to take your mags apart and clean them regularly. Pay special attention to the inside/front surface where the bullet noses slide up. CCI ammo has a pretty sticky lube that will coat that surface and slow the feeds. I run a little oil on that surface when starting a session with CCI ammo. That reduces the frequency I need to do a complete mag takedown/cleaning.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would try the stock magazine springs again. I changed the loading buttons on my magazines to the VQ buttons and that was the trick for me. I was shocked that would be the issue after I polished the heck out of the stock buttons but the VQ were smoother. I think the metal in the Ruger is softer and just causes more friction that the VQ. The TK and Volquartsen springs are quite a bit stronger. I usually pick the worst mag and work on it until I get it working then apply the fixes. I am a believer in those mag buttons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to purchase some new magazines and leave them be except using VQ follower buttons. I'll try the lubrication suggestions and the extractor suggestion and report back. I hope I can figure something out because I want to love this gun but I am beyond simple frustration now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts