Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded some light .223 loads and used oatmeal as a case filler. The first 10 shots were great. Sub MOA at 50 yards. That was on Tuesday. Today I went back out and the accuracy wasn't as good, and by the time I got to shot #15, I couldn't lock the action up anymore (I was shooting a TCA Encore). The charred oatmeal had gummed up my chamber so much I couldn't load the next round.

So what else have you used for case filler and where did you get it? Was it easy to use?

I liked shooting the reduced loads, but it was a pain to fill them.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I loaded some light .223 loads and used oatmeal as a case filler. The first 10 shots were great. Sub MOA at 50 yards. That was on Tuesday. Today I went back out and the accuracy wasn't as good, and by the time I got to shot #15, I couldn't lock the action up anymore (I was shooting a TCA Encore). The charred oatmeal had gummed up my chamber so much I couldn't load the next round.

So what else have you used for case filler and where did you get it? Was it easy to use?

I liked shooting the reduced loads, but it was a pain to fill them.
There is data for reduced power .223 loads (around 2000fps if I remember right)
anyway they used 800x powder and 40 grn bullets and it worked pretty well. I wish I could remember which web site it was on.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Ive never worried about it, use good primers the powder will go bang! Old Vincent on here had told me to use Cream of Wheat as a filler for fire forming brass for my K Hornet, it worked pretty good but I didnt have bullets in the case, just some tissue paper in the end.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I have read that it's a no-no not to use filler as you get more powder contact (greater surface area) with primer and you might get unacceptable pressures. But, it's in a T/C Encore which should be able to handle most anything I throw at it.

I got the recipe from an old reloading manual - 12.7 grains of 4227.

-Cheers

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Why use filler at all? Try about 13 or so grains of Bluedot next time without filler.
I have heard a ton of great things about blue dot in .223. It loads the round down to about a .22 hornet and consistently seems to give great groups. No filler is needed. If I were to run a reduced load in .223 that is what I would be using at least as a starter. Simply and easy and most claim great accuracy.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Imr Sr4759

I use IMR SR4759 for reduced loads in a lot of small cartridges:

• 22 Hornet
  • 218 Bee
  • 25-20
  • 221 Fireball
  • 222 Rem
  • 223 Rem
I can fill the cases to the necks and not have pressure problems, and the velocities are about 2/3 of what you'd expect with the "normal" powders. No case stretch, either. SR4759 is the closest thing to a universal powder I have found.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.