Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
nice kill

saturday i shot 3 reds. seems i'm doing alot more small game hunting with the 17hmr, rather than deer hunting. have you shot any chipmunks yet. they totally explode.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice kill! I remember doing that with a .338:eek::eek: That was messy:D :D

What kind of a setup do you have for a gun and what do you get for groups with the velocitors?

-Todd-

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
err did I miss something here

Went from Velocitors to 17HMR back to
Velocitors.:)

My experence has been more distruction
with the Velocitors than the 17HMR.on
squirrels.Course the 17HMR can reach on
out there.Most Squirrels I have shot were in the 50 to 75yd range with the
17. A lot closer with the Volocitors.

Todd,one of my 77/22 will do about 1/2" with Velocitors at 40 yds(3 shot group).Thats the one I been hunting with,haven't really had time to check them out close.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
GlockJD Welcome!!!!!

Yes,the Velocitors are a new 22LR
load from CCI .
40Gr.Gold Dot hollow point
1435 fps

Good round as is most all CCI ammo.
But it is almost to much for small game
if you plan on eating it.Dandy varmint
round though.
Just go for head shots on small game.

·
Registered
116 Posts
thanks for the welcome and explanation:) Im a little behind times, had a small "vacation" from .22s playing with centerfire stuff more but am getting back into the smallbores. Looks promising, have to research some more, how it compares to stingers and other bullets. Now to find a good deal on a 541T like I always wanted but never got before they were discontinued and get back to my roots of .22LR hunting/shooting and test out these new bullets:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought just one box of Velocitors yesterday on the way to the range to see how well they shot before buying more. For some reason I had 3 out of 50 missfire. For the first two I was shooting my Ruger Mk. II Govt. Competition and I thought maybe it was just that one pistol that had the problem. Next I tried some in my other Mk. II (5.5" bull barrel) and had another missfire. This one I ejected and put back in and it fired that time. Both pistols had just recently had a thorough cleaning and there wasn't enough crud built up in them to cause a problem. All the other shooting I did was with Federal's 550 round value pack hollowpoints and there were no missfires at all with them, both before and after I shot the Velocitors.
I didn't have enough time or rounds to do any bench rested accuracy testing this time. What I did like about them is the extra power! Next time I'm going to try some more and see what happens. That might have just been a bad batch or something.
Anyone else have a missfire problem with these?
JS

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just put a green mountain barrel on my 10/22. I opened up the factory stock and bedded the first 2 inches. And I have a cheapo simmons 3x9 on it. I have only shot some federal lightnings through it, at 50yds I could cover most of a 10 shot group with a dime (2 fliers). The day I shot the squirrel was the first time I have tried the velocitors. I did have 2 ftf and a live round wouldn't eject, once it was fired no problem. I'll try to post a pic, its nothing pretty but I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hmmm....

For me, misfires with anything CCI are unfound.

I've never had a single CCI anything misfire. How do the firing pin impressions look? They might be light pin strikes...?

Or maybe a bad batch. CCI is known for their brass and primers, though. And especially for their rimfire.

Anyone else out there have any problems with CCIs?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
No problems as I remember with any

CCI's (FTF).

That 40gr. bullet has a lot of lead
exposed,so it might give some problems
in tighter chambers.

Best prices I have found on CCI bullets is at Midsouth.
Wally world will burn ya.

All you newer users/Members check
out the 22 ammo forum,lots of info.
in there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Corey
Your 10/22 looks it'll get the job done with that heavy barrel. One of these day's I might get another 10/22 and trick it out. I've seen some at the range that are just plain AWSOME!

Viper
This is actually the first time I've used CCI in a while. I've used Mini-mags and Stingers before and I don't remember having a missfire problem with them. With .22 rimfire though I expect to have missfires once in a while but not 3 out of 50. Before I went on the Federal binge I used Winchester Super-X a lot and would have a missfire once in a while but not often enough to worry about. The first thing I thought after I had the first two missfires with the Velocitors was a firing pin problem or something with that pistol. I tried the other pistol and had the same thing happen with it. That makes me think it's the ammo.

Phil
I think you might have the right idea about getting a bad batch. It was a surprize to me to have this though when the ammo was about $3.50 or so for a box of 50.

Later
JS

·
Registered
458 Posts
CCI FTF?

I can only remember one FTF in ALL of the 22LR I have ever shot. It was Federal cheapo ammo way back in the sixties.

CCI has always been a terrific performer for me. I was around a long time :( before CCI came out, and every body I know praises CCI.

Bill :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Plinker
That could be it! Come to think of it, when I went to eject the duds two of them that I remember had a hard time coming out of the chamber. Since they're both Mk. II's the chambers would be cut the same and both would have the same problem. If I would have thought of this at the time I could have looked at the bullet to see if it had marks where it made hard contact with the end of the chamber.

Heliflyer
I haven't had very many missfires at all with .22 RF but I have had it happen often enough to know that it does happen from time to time. Rare enough that I forgot which brands they were except for a few of the Winchester Super-X that I've used several thousand of up until recently. I think that the ones I've had, other than the Velocitors, was due to too much crud build-up around the face of the bolt. It's ony this case that caught my attention because I had 3 out of 50.

To sum it up I'm going to try some more Velocitors and try and be more analytical when it happens if it does.

Thank you all for your replies.
JS

·
Registered
458 Posts
JS44 said:
Plinker

<snip>

Heliflyer
I haven't had very many missfires at all with .22 RF but I have had it happen often enough to know that it does happen from time to time. Rare enough that I forgot which brands they were except for a few of the Winchester Super-X that I've used several thousand of up until recently. I think that the ones I've had, other than the Velocitors, was due to too much crud build-up around the face of the bolt. It's ony this case that caught my attention because I had 3 out of 50.

To sum it up I'm going to try some more Velocitors and try and be more analytical when it happens if it does.

Thank you all for your replies.
JS
JS44:
I am so anal when it comes to cleaning, maybe that is the reason why I haven't had the misfires that others have experienced. And, up until just the last few months ago, my 10/22's have all had stock barrels. The only thing I used to do was get the trigger crisp and loving.

Please keep posting your results with the velocitors.

Bill :cool:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hmm, Velociters seem to have the damage factor as much as regular 40gr. hollowpoints, the CCI minimags, and the Power points, do a real number to.

Dean_311

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.