Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent all afternoon at the range yesterday sighting in my new BSA red dot. Think I got it. This may be a stupid question but, how do you aim a red dot? Is it really as easy as putting the dot on the target? Does the dot have to be in the very center of the sight? Does head position come into play? Just never aimed a pistol before with only one sight so I really dont get it!

Check this rig out

·
Registered
481 Posts
Red dot sights will usually have some amount of parallax so if you trying to be precise it wouldn't hurt to center the dot. How you use it depends on what kind of shooting you're using it for. If it's more speed oriented keep both eyes open and look thru the sight and see the dot as if it was projected on the target. No need to focus on the dot just the target, in fact the dot is fuzzy so you can't really see it clearly anyway. This works well for precision shooting too for most people, but I usually close the left eye if I'm really serious about precision. The red dot sight takes out the error possible when aligning the front and rear sight leaving only the dot to target relationship to deal with. Because of this the dot will seem to move around a little more than iron sights when shooting offhand. Actually of course it's not, the iron sights hide the movement via the error in aligining the front and rear. It takes a little getting used to but once you have it sighted in and learn to trust that dot you may not want to shoot anything else.

Ross

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yup. It's that easy...

You got it, Topspin.

As CCW warns, you do have a bit of parallax to deal with (that's when the dot moves as your head moves). Keep the dot near center in the objective field and you'll be fine.

It's a red light, so it's transparent. Place the dot exactly center over where you wish to hit.

That's all there is to it. Now you just have to do your part.

Now, here's the thing:

Red dot's do have some limitations. You may find it hard to see in very bright sunlight. What can I say? Deal.

What you have is a setup very similar to mine. My Buckmark is vintage 2000, so doesn't have the firesights and I'm using a B-Square rail. Other than that, it's the same -- Buckmark Camper w/BSA 4MOA Red Dot.

The dot is hard to see over a light-colored target. Try a 4" NRA target at 50YDS, 2" target at 25YDS. That will give you a black circle about twice the size of your red dot to target. Indoor shooting will be a little different.

HTH

-S

·
Registered
266 Posts
topspin43--

Good advice from everyone. If you are shooting off-hand, then your BSA machine will probably be perfect for you with its 3 MOA dot. (I have one, but I have forgotten if it is 3 MOA or larger!)

However, many people ignore dots for distance shooting from the bench. I know using a dot from the bench at long distances probably does not make too much sense . . . that is why I love to do it!

Here is my best target with one of my 1 MOA dots . . .

100 yards.

--seal killer

·
Registered
266 Posts
Spike52--

Those are fondue sticks I stole from my wife!

Last year I did a LOT of 100 yard shooting from the bench with my Beretta NEOS (7.25" barrel). After a few hours I would always get tired and decide to shoot one last magazine at a "fun" target. Water bottles turned out to be my easy fun target because I always had one with me.

At 100 yards, the only thing I can see of a plastic water bottle is the label. I can kinda see it, anyway. At the time, the Beretta had either my Nikon 6610 1 MOA dot or my Bushnell Holosight, also a 1 MOA machine. (I have water bottles like that one created with both at 100 yards!)

I used Wolf Match Target ammunition. The reason there are not ten rounds in the water bottle is because I was not sure I was even hitting it so I walked the rounds to the left. I should have had more confidence in my zero! Walking the rounds to the left cost me four hits!

--seal killer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.