Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The rail is a bit wide and the slots are spaced wrong for some scopes, like the 30mm BSA. However, it will fit. I'm using a Bushnell Trophy with no problems. I think you are better with a scope that allows the brackets to move, rather than fixed mounts. But either will work. Or try some different rings.

5.5" barrel with BSA

7" barrel with Bushnel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pics. They are worth a 1000 words. On the simmons 30 mm the rail is one piece and the way the 22 rail is it doesn't leave much to hold onto. Is it possible to get a different rail for the Simmons ? Actually I can't even get a hold onto the 22 rail. I notice on the Bushnell you posted it has 2 different rings. Looks like a better system. Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took a little off the mount on the red dot with built in rail mount. And milled a new cross slot as well.
Seperate mounts work well.
I don't know how S&W missed the boat on the rail mount. Its an inexpensive gun and low cost red dots don't just bolt on go figure.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The BSA fits better on my Rugers but does ok on the 22A. The Bushnell is a better scope, but cost 3x as much. Stacker, I wondered about doing a bit of filing on the BSA. $30 scope, wouldn't be out much if I messed it up.

Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a cheap NC Star holo/heads up display on mine. It fit the rail just fine. I'm sure their tube dot sights will as well.

Mine is light and has enough brightness and reticle options to make it worth the $40 I think I paid for it. Working fine so far.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
:t The 22A takes a std weaver mt. if your Redot has a 22 dovetail mt it won't fit. I didn't like the big soup can red dots and put a Tasc propoint on my bbl wit no problem
I got a second 4" bbl just for everyday field carry /fishing/ hiking etc. I had no problem mtg the propoint w weaver rings included. :t --JMJ-- man Simmons web page sure don'rt say much about hteir Red dots osr the mtg system http://www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes_RDH.htm the pic shows two rings and thats about it???

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rail is a bit wide and the slots are spaced wrong for some scopes, like the 30mm BSA. However, it will fit. I'm using a Bushnell Trophy with no problems. I think you are better with a scope that allows the brackets to move, rather than fixed mounts. But either will work. Or try some different rings.

5.5" barrel with BSA

7" barrel with Bushnel

I'm gonna have to take pics of mine tonite with the bsa scope on....I think the one I have designed the other way where I can't mount mine to the back. I cut the attachment in half to make mine work.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ok thanks for the reply. It was late at night when I tried. I'll give it another try today. I'm sure I was doing something wrong. Appreciate the input. Steve
I'm sorry, my mistake. (Edit: My Bad, No Mistake; see new pic below). The Simmons will not fit without modification. (Edit: It will fit without mod). On the Simmons, both mounting pins must fit inside a corresponding slot. The forward pin has a linear adjustment range from about 1.5" to 2.0". On the holo sight I have, only the forward pin fits inside a slot, the rear pin sits above the rail. The 22A has a Weaver rail, the Simmons will fit a Picatinny rail. Weaver rails are not all the same, Picatinny's are the same. This might help.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=2&i=558
Hope you can see the Simmons adjustment in this pic:

The pic has the mount on backwards. In order to align with the slots on the sight, the slotted portion must be forward. I don't have pics (Edit: see new pic), but If you look at the bottom of the sight housing, it has a small machined slot at the rear and a large machined slot forward.
The mount pins fit half into these and half into the Picatinny.
BTW, pic is prior to modification of Simmons scope rail. After modificaiton, it looks exactly the same. No modification to 22A rail.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Guy testing the mags for function apparently did the same thing. I dearly loved mine, but it was so unreliable that it had to go. The old cheapo red dot that I slapped on it fit just fine, though. Some Chinese knockoff of a decent one, I think, but it worked well enough for me. Honestly, I think my old 22S had some of the nicest irons on it that I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It fits!!!

The Simmons mount does fit without modification, but fits better with a little modification. See my post (#13) in this thread. The clamping rails are not symmetrical. The thicker portion as shown in the scope picture above my 22A, must be up as shown in the picture; the slotted portion goes forward, opposite as shown. It fits a little better if you mill or file a slot into the scope base to allow the clamping rod to sit above the Weaver rail of the 22A and rececessed into the scope base. You can also file a groove in the slots above where the forward clamping rod resides. I did it all by hand with some small hand files.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.