Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Recontouring OEM Ruger Trigger

529 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  shtrdave
Is this even possible? Would like to take out some of the curve in the
trigger before I put in an overtravel screw. Any experience out there ?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,500 Posts
neophyte said:
Is this even possible? Would like to take out some of the curve in the
trigger before I put in an overtravel screw. Any experience out there ?
markdperkins said:
I think some people might heat them up and bend them? I am contemplating using some JB Weld on the front to flatten it out. Hopefully someone with experience can post a picture.
This pictures shows the trigger in my Alpha gun. I reshaped it using epoxy putty but JB Weld would work too. Just build it up and trim it to the shape you want. I even got away with making it just a fraction longer, but you can only get a fraction more length. Hope that helps.

Dave Z.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
SwampF0X said:
WHY? Just get a VQ trigger with an over travel adjustment screw installed and be done with it. Cost about $20. Works great

JMHO
swampf0x
$20? Or 50 cents worth of JB Weld and a 10 cent set screw .... less than a buck!

Dave Z.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
I tried heating and bending one, totally unsuccessful. You can remove metal
from the bottom untill its almost sharp and make a noticable difference although it will still have some curve. I like to round the side of the trigger where my finger contacts it. The VQ trigger is nice but I like to round the side of it also. I like the JB weld idea and will try it.

· Registered
522 Posts
On using a pretty heavy fill of JB weld or epoxy like stuff, might consider adding some material to help with more strenght. This way if you wanted to extend the build up over and past the end of the original trigger. Now with my past luck with the disconnector breaking when I simply dropped it on the shop floor, I would not try to bend any of the parts on these LOL.

What I would think would help for this would be to use some of the hail screen looking cloth that is used for tape and bedding sheet rock. A couple of thin strips added to the area's to be built up will really help hold things stronger. Much like we do with concrete and rebar or the sheet rock mud. This stuff is much stronger when you use the mesh and rebar with the layers. Also helps when the stuff dries and keeps the cracks of the substance from appearing when stuff dries and shrinks.

Use some of this and if you wanted to extend the lenght out farther you roll the mesh on the trigger and extend past the end. Built up with serveral layers and then mash the JB weld into all the mesh good and smooth out to remove all the voids and air pockets should really help. For that matter you could use other things if you had them laying around the house too, like some of the aluminum window screen. Strips of this, mash in the JB weld would help as well, just be a little more difficult to work with. Nothing easy is ever as good nor is near as much fun as a good hard challenge. Just a though and my two cents:)

· Registered
1,582 Posts
I cut one straight up from the bottom, I haven't had a chance to stick it in anything yet. Looking at it I think one could fill the void on the rear top of the trigger, and then cut the front to take out the curve at the top.

I used my bandsaw and then smoothed and shaped with some sandpaper.

If i ever have a chance to finish it i can put a pic up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.