Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are recoil buffers simply a peice of polyurethane that fits over the recoil bolt? Something you can buy at a hardware store?

If so please enlighten me on any particulars..does it need to be hard/soft, etc. what to buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Just buy a Weaponkraft buffer they work great and last a lifetime. The homemade ones don't last and can intefere with the operation of the rifle. IMHO......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recoil buffers

Recoil buffers are nothing but a piece of .250 thick plastic. For you people that can't read a micrometer, ask for 1/4". The catch comes in getting the right hardnes.Too soft it wears out,too hard & it breaks. Knowing all this I bought mine from quality dealer. Mack

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
CaliforniaGuy said:
Are recoil buffers simply a peice of polyurethane that fits over the recoil bolt? Something you can buy at a hardware store?

If so please enlighten me on any particulars..odes it need to be hard/soft, etc. what to buy?

Thanks
As the others have said the best bet is getting one from a vendor. Once again getting the correct material (hardness) is where you end up wasting a fair amount of time and/or money. Do home made buffers work? .... sometimes, but when you can get one from Weaponkraft that works as well as they do for 6 bucks why jack with it. Hawk has a good buffer too called TEN22 Innovations but he also sells the Weaponkraft buffers.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Where can one get 3 for 12?
What are some good sites for 10/22 parts? I'm assuming HawkTech? There's just so much on the net that I'd like a few references from thos in the know.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
WeaponKraft will take care of you. If I were to drive to a Menards or Home Depot it takes about $10 in gas plus the hour round trip. The 3 buffers for $12 is a deal for me.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Macktheknife said:
Recoil buffers are nothing but a piece of .250 thick plastic. For you people that can't read a micrometer, ask for 1/4". The catch comes in getting the right hardnes.Too soft it wears out,too hard & it breaks. Knowing all this I bought mine from quality dealer. Mack
Glad you are happy with yours. As for me, I wouldn't risk it. Not because I couldn't read a micrometer, because I can. Not because a "quality dealer" isn't close by, because one is. I wouldn't risk it because I haven't done any real research into which of the multitude of plastic rods, at which hardness, is appropriate for this particular installation - and I'll bet you neither your or my "quality dealer" has, either. Reed, at Weaponkraft, has.

Since the price of picking the wrong "nothing but a piece of .250" plastic" could be a cracked receiver, I'll leave the choice to Reed.

Splurge. Buy a 3-pack.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
polycarbonate isnt really what you want, too hard. ever own a nalgene water bottle? they take a lot of abuse and if full of water you could probably knock somone out real quick with one.

bolt buffers are generally made of a urethane thats hard but still soft as well. i think lexan would just be too hard to do what the buffer is supposed to. maybe im wrong.

go with weaponcraft and get the hex head screw, makes life simplel. I had a mechanic at work turn down a few hex head bolts for me, they work great after i ground down the end to fit. Of course im going to be a machinist apprentice soon so maybe ill make some someday...who knows. it would be good practice with a lathe though, or if i wanted overkill...cnc...:D

and buy the 3pack, your gonna need it ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.