Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went to a modified High Power match that allows rimfire. The Match/Clinic is at 100 yards and uses the similated targets to adjust for the right distances. 200 out to 600.

On the slow fire sections it is just that, slow fire single load, a 10/22 is problematic at best to single load.

Has anyone cut or had cut away part of the receiver to allow room for fingers and a cartridge? Would that make a receiver too weak?

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Except for the questionable POI that many complain of from the first round that's chambered via manually cycling the action.
So don't use the bolt hold-open. Drop mag, insert bo-bo in mag, insert mag, pull bolt back & allow to slam shut (chambering the round.) POI for the slow fire should be the same: that's what counts. Shooter makes the necessary adjustment from POI in rapid fire [that's what your dope book is for.]

Alternatively, get a pair of forceps that are designed to hold round things [or make your own by cutting the base off a fired 22 WMR case & then sectioning into halves. Solder 1 half on each prong of forceps] and use them to insert the bullet in the chamber, let bolt slam shut [for consistency] and Dread Pirate Robert is your mum's favorite brother! [aka "Bob's yer uncle" :D ]

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Ruger 10/22 manual describes that the 10/22 can be used as a single shot rifle by locking the bolt back, inserting a new round into the chamber and closing bolt WITHOUT the use of a magazine at all.

For consistency I would recommend using an auto bolt release.

Sub MOA or bust!!!

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was headed to my gunsmiff yesterday afternoon and asked him about it. He could cut a tad on it but not enough to allow a finger and cartridge into the ejection port.

· Registered
578 Posts
Except for the questionable POI that many complain of from the first round that's chambered via manually cycling the action.
So don't use the bolt hold-open. Drop mag, insert bo-bo in mag, insert mag, pull bolt back & allow to slam shut (chambering the round.) POI for the slow fire should be the same: that's what counts. Shooter makes the necessary adjustment from POI in rapid fire [that's what your dope book is for.]

Alternatively, get a pair of forceps that are designed to hold round things [or make your own by cutting the base off a fired 22 WMR case & then sectioning into halves. Solder 1 half on each prong of forceps] and use them to insert the bullet in the chamber, let bolt slam shut [for consistency] and Dread Pirate Robert is your mum's favorite brother! [aka "Bob's yer uncle" :D ]
The "first-round flyer" is a very real thing, IME.

My SS SuperStock rifle will put the first, "hand-chambered" round about 1" from POA @ 25 yards. Usually it ends up somewhere between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock, but sometimes at about 4 o'clock.

Every recoil-fed round returns to POA, and all end up in one ragged hole at 25 yards.

I've tried every conceivable trick -- w/ factory bolt release, w/ auto bolt release, w/o any bolt release, slingshotting from a closed bolt. None prevents the first shot flyer.

IMO, a 10/22 is not a rifle that should be used for single-shot accuracy, unless it's the only thing you have and can't afford something else...

· Registered
5,725 Posts
From the only serious shoot for group I’ve done and with but some of the now seven, the groups comprised all ten rounds of a full magazine including the first chambered via pull to stop and let fly. So far it’s been the first round impacts among all the others.

However, based on what I’ve read in here I’ll not be surprised if the same doesn’t hold true from all my builds. If or when one wants to spit first round fliers then I’ll attempt to figger out the whys of such nonsense and hope to find a cure, though I seriously doubt if I do stumble onto the cure will have come from anything I’ve read from the 10/22 owner’s booklet.

· Registered
2,217 Posts

Do not load a round and let the bolt slam shut on the round. You are asking for slam fires.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Was headed to my gunsmiff yesterday afternoon and asked him about it. He could cut a tad on it but not enough to allow a finger and cartridge into the ejection port.
Personally....if it were me......I wouldn't be loading through the ejection port. I'd be loading my rounds through the mag well in this instance. I also seem to remember Ruger making a single shot rotary magazine. Just saying.

http://shopruger.com/10_22-BX-1-1-One-Round-Magazine-90344/productinfo/90344/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.