Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed some wear of the finish on the edge of the hole where spent cases eject on my H001L. Now don't get me wrong, I really like the effect, BUT is this wear typical?

Also does anyone have a procedure for masking niks on the stock? I have banged-it-up a little and the resulting nik is white, I guess they cover the stock in some kind of polymer which is new to me and I don't know how to cover up these minor blemishes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Stevil:

I checked my H001 for the type of wear that you describe. The finish has taken a few minor dings right on the edge of the opening but that's about it.

Birchwood Casey make a gloss back touch up pen that is apparently available at some gun shops. I have never used one yet. I read about it here on Rimfire Central. You might check them out.

Floyd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Floyd.

Okay I really beat-up the stock shooting today, now I'm not prissy about dings n' dents but I sure would like to color the parts where it's gone white. Anybody know of a fix? HELP! :sad: By-the-way I've put through about 3,000 rounds in under three weeks... a superb rifle a real joy to use. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Stevil:

Whoops. I misread your post. I thought the nick that left a white spot was on the receiver.

The finish on the Henry stocks is more than likely a lacquer or a drying oil type finish. Either one of these can display a kind of whitish surface just under the finish if it is scraped or nicked. If this were my gun I think that what I would do would be to carefully abrade the damaged surface with a fine abrasive until I was down to the bare wood. I would then refinish that area with either a drying or non drying oil finish.

The finish that I use on stuff that I make in my shop is a non drying finish that consists of six parts of mineral oil and one part of pure beeswax. These ingredients are heated in a double boiler until the wax melts and mixes with the oil at which time it’s pored off into a container and allowed to cool. I have used this finish for years with good results. I apply a light coat of this to my gun stocks and then rub them as nearly dry as I can and they always polish out nicely. I also use this on the receivers and so far it has worked well. There are no abrasives in it and no solvents.

Floyd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.