Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of rebarreling an Anschutz Model 64 action. What is the best way to do this? Should the barrel be threaded, or pinned in as it is done from the factory?

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
Hope you have all the tools needed for the job. Anschutz barrels are press fit and pinned both, and are extremely tight. You will need a good barrel vise and action wrench, some heat and a lot of pounding to get the old barrel out. It would probably be best to thread the new one.

·
Registered
995 Posts
threaded vs pinning

I am not sure that there is enough "meat" on the 64 action to thread it for a barrel. I would be very cautious on that route.

As for using the taper & pin method...you know that works!

Between the two, if there is a potential to thread the action, then go that route.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I vaguely recall rebarreling a 164 (22lr) many years ago. I was thinking it was threaded, but could be wrong. I used a Shilen match blank in Win 52D countour. It was for a customer who used it for silhouette shooting, which was just getting popular. I don't recall any real problems barrelung it and it shot extremely well.
Greg

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It can be threaded I have done one. I have a 64 match rifle that had a screwed up chamber. I cut the back 6 inches off the barrel and threaded it into the action. It has been 5-6 years so I can't remember the exact details. I think I first threaded the action then turned the barrel tennon to fit. I generally leave the tennon long then face it off a little at a time to get the head space right. I made some head space gages that I can use in an unchanbered barrel so that once the barrel is al fit up with the correct head space i cut the chamber and the extractor cuts. This rifle has been a starter rifle for 3 of my kids and several juniors that shoot at our club and has worked well. I made a bloop tube the get the sight radius back to a good length. If you are a competant machinist then go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.