Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
632 Posts
Some rifles with 1/2 X 28 thread pitch have the threads .600 inch deep. Most rimfire rifles and suppressors are only threaded .400 inch deep.

You can get a spacer that threads on and keeps your suppressor in line so you don't get baffle strikes.

I have one that I have to use on a couple rifles.

If you like the way it shoots, a spacer is a lot cheaper than a new barrel. Now if you want a new barrel for other reasons, I won't talk you out of it.

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some rifles with 1/2 X 28 thread pitch have the threads .600 inch deep. Most rimfire rifles and suppressors are only threaded .400 inch deep.

You can get a spacer that threads on and keeps your suppressor in line so you don't get baffle strikes.

I have one that I have to use on a couple rifles.

If you like the way it shoots, a spacer is a lot cheaper than a new barrel. Now if you want a new barrel for other reasons, I won't talk you out of it.
There’s a taper, almost like pipe thread, and virtually no thread relief…a spacer won’t screw all the way down to the shoulder of the barrel.

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you turn out some of the spacers thread, it will screw down flush
The problem is ‘deeply rooted’ in that there’s no relief, the treads are terrible, AND there aren’t enough of them to space and have enough left to screw a can on….basically ruined the f’n barrel to my notion.
Office supplies Bumper Writing implement Microphone Gas
Office supplies Gas Tints and shades Cylinder Soil

In my over 50 years of fooling with this stuff I’ve never seen anything quite like it….why?

The guy I got this from either lied through his teeth or is a complete idiot….I’m thinking both counts. It’s got a 10oz Jewell but the stock was never inlet for it to move in an arc and he said it must have some grit in it?!

· Registered
411 Posts
I see now. Someone cut down your original barrel and did a very poor job of threading it. Never seen threading like that.
Factory length for the P94S Range model (that you have) should be the same as the Varmint model, 23 inches, and did not have threads.

Lilja used to make barrels for the P94S, but I seem to remember reading on here they discontinued them.
Not sure if they might still do one on custom order. I do not know of anyone else that made drop in barrels.
Otherwise you will have to have a gunsmith make one from a blank, or try and find a original barrel.

However not all might be lost. Since it is already 16 inches and can not be trimmed shorter and left that way. You could find a gunsmith that can cut off those threads and then re thread the barrel and make a spacer with new threads, then pin/weld the spacer in place. This makes it legally 16 inches again as the spacer can not be removed.

What is the diameter of the barrel in front of those threads? If it is thick enough, possibly it could be threaded a slightly smaller thread size, then a sleeve threaded on and Loctite in place, then the sleeve threaded.

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may take the stripped down action to a ‘smith that would be able to spin it and cut a relief behind the existing threads, re-cut/chase them, then fit a proper spacer and red LocTite it in place….or get it re-barreled.

I’d have a threaded 18” heavy barrel if I had my druthers…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts