Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, this has been a roller coaster already. For months I was wanting one of the S&W M&P-22's. Then about the time I decided I was going to get really serious about dedicating myself to shooting tons of 22lr this year, the market went bonkers.

Well, I still managed to collect a 10/22 Zombie Stopper edition(which I have since built into a full Kidd custom and it freaking shoots) and another 10/22 in the form of a Takedown as well as a super nice (Apx 96%) all original Remington 541s built in 1972.

So, as you can see, I have been spending a lot (too much according to the wife:eek:) of dough on 22's. Now, I am super happy with those purchases, dont get me wrong. I mean my kids have never had so much fun at the range as they did last week. They are usually forced to shoot my AR's and/or precision bolt guns, along with a small amount of 22lr. Well, once we went with the intention of shooting nothing BUT 22lr, they just had a whole different appreciation for range time.

Well, last night I called a friend that owns the LGS and checked to see if he received any ammo that day. Turns out he did and I asked him to wait on me, (it was 2000 hrs) and he agreed. I ran up to buy some CCI and when I got there, I noticed a couple Smith M&P-22's. I couldnt help myself and jumped on a brand new S&W M&P15-22 MOE in FDE. Got it at standard pricing and couldnt have been happier (unless they shipped with 2 mags, but oh well, this one comes with one).

Well, once I got home, I could tell that even though the wife loved the gun and the idea of a perfect trainer for the girls that ate 22lr instead of 77 grain 5.56 or 300Blk, I could tell she was not happy that I just bought my 4th 22 in a month, to go along with the ~3K rounds of 22 I have purchased to go with it.

Anyway, once I sat down and thought about it, I decided, screw it, they are bringing a premium and I could just sell it to offset some of the funds I spent on the other 22's. So I listed here and was just going to move it at anything over $700 or so.

Then, after thinking about it today and tinkering with it some more, I decided no way in hell I was selling it. So, I am going to keep it and let the girls shoot the crap out of it. But I still have to move something to make the wife happy. I am thinking I will list my new 541s instead and just keep all semi autos since I can put the can on them, whereas there is no way I would ever thread the barrel on an all original 541s.

Crappy cell pics-And I forgot to put the included FDE panels on the rail for the pics.

·
Registered
807 Posts
S&w 15-22

When they first cam out with that rifle I laughed when I found out it was plastic and said I will never own one because of it. The problem was I couldn't get the way it look and felt out of my head so when one poped up in the local classifieds with the Magpul sights and a pistol grip and a box of ammo I jumped on it! In my 25 years of shooting and collecting rimfire rifles this is the funnest most dependable rifle I have ever owned. If I could only have one rimfire this would be the one. S&W hit a home run with the M&P 15-22 and I am proud to own one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is good to hear brother. high praise indeed.

and for glass, that is a vortex razor hd, 1-6. I love it, but I can't leave it on the Smith. it belongs on my Recce. Just on for the picture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought you were talking about the M&P22 pistol when I read the title, which has easily become my favorite .22 pistol and honestly probably one of my favorite guns I own. I've been on the fence about these 15-22s for a while now too. That's a good lookin one!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out a way to shorten the really long name of this rifle. Not being a Smith and Wesson guy, I didn't realize there was another gun of the same name.

I am calling it the M&P15-22 now but can't determine how to edit my title lol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When they first cam out with that rifle I laughed when I found out it was plastic and said I will never own one because of it. The problem was I couldn't get the way it look and felt out of my head so when one poped up in the local classifieds with the Magpul sights and a pistol grip and a box of ammo I jumped on it! In my 25 years of shooting and collecting rimfire rifles this is the funnest most dependable rifle I have ever owned. If I could only have one rimfire this would be the one. S&W hit a home run with the M&P 15-22 and I am proud to own one.
THIS^^^^ nail on the head!

·
Registered
155 Posts
You might want to get hold of a barrel wrench for it.
It virtually impossible to use anything but one on it if the barrel nut loosens up on you, mine did and shot all over the place till I tightened it up again.
You can get one through Midway, Brownells or directly from the guy who makes them over on the S&W Forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see that both of you have magpul backup sights. I put a set on my M&P15-22 but it is shooting high and to the right. No level of adjustment seems to put it on target. Looking at your pics, my sights are mounted 180 but if they are both mounted backward they should still line up, right? BTW- I think that yours look backwards. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I see that both of you have magpul backup sights. I put a set on my M&P15-22 but it is shooting high and to the right. No level of adjustment seems to put it on target. Looking at your pics, my sights are mounted 180 but if they are both mounted backward they should still line up, right? BTW- I think that yours look backwards. Any ideas?
I can't really help with aligning them but the way these 2 guys have their sights set up is the correct way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.