Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re: squirrel damaging pecans...

I have a large pecan tree adjacent to the mother-in-laws house and have a big problem every year keeping squirrels off of it. Can't shoot them since it's in the city limits and they make a mess eating up all of the nuts.

I trim the limbs to keep them from jumping from the roof to the tree and have placed a sheet metal band 2 feet wide about 5-6 ft high on the tree trunk. Somehow, they find a way up.........any ideas? Have thought about a slingshot. Anyone killed squirrels with sling shots?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
running boar, I don't think there's that many that get on the tree. Seems like there's one that has been able to get past any obstacle I place. Last year, this squirrel "nibbled" on just about every pecan on the tree before they even got ripe. Took one bite and threw the rest on the ground. Almost like it was sampling every nut on the tree. Cleaned me out and made a mess.

I've thought about a plastic owl or plastic snake. I have a crossman pellet rifle but it's also against the law to shoot it. Come to think of it, I think shooting with a sling shot may also be illegal. I'll have to check on it.

You mentioned a trap. Is there a squirrel trap that I could put on the tree?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have shot 2 squirells with the wrist rocket. i was using marbles. they work pretty good. i have a very cheap wrist rocket like 5 bucks. both ones i shot i hit them in the head. body shots just knocks them off the limb and just paralyze them for a few seconds. if you use a wrist rocket good luck!!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My ninety year old dad lives in town.He has problems with squirrels from time to time.He deals with them two ways.He uses a "Hav-a-hart trap,when he traps one he paints the top of it's head with white latex house paint,then brings it out to my woods and releases it.In season we hunt them with his Rat Terrier squirrel dogs.We have yet to bag a white headed one.His other method is to shoot them with his .410 in his yard.Over the years newer neighbors have called the police,so far this hasn't amounted to much.He dosen't take scoldings,and has not been cited to date.The few times a policeman has spoken with him,he told them he uses #6 shot or smaller,and only takes shots that are high and away from powerlines and houses.The police leave happy,or at least they can't figure out what to do with a ninety year old protecting his little garden,fruit and nut trees.Neighbors have adjusted to this or moved on,I guess.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have used a slingshot before on the critters very challaging tho. You said in city limits are the houses close?? What if you miss?? I say a pellet rifle at about 1000 fps I also have used this to take squirrels accurate to. Poison ? not bad as long as nextdoors dog don't eat the critter :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
I started to get excited when i had the idea of recommending a pellet gun (powermaster 66) until i read your other post saying pellet guns are not legal to shoot either. I cant believe it... Anyways, this reminded me of the days when i would shoot the squirrels in our families pecan tree...helping the parents out, i thought i was doing the neighborhood a huge favor, and it sure was fun too. Anyways, i went through 3 of these guns when i was younger, i would pump the piss outta them and something would end up breaking, but for the money i thought they were great and was a blast for me learning how to shoot'em out of the pecan trees.

the beloved powermaster

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If the city won't let you shoot them, tell the city to come and get their squirrels because they are causing damage to your property.
If the city won't come and get their squirrels, shoot them with a pellet rifle from a window in the house late in the evening. Pick the little corpses up after dark and dispose of them.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
BLOWDART GUN!!!! they are actually pretty accurate and with the long spear type darts, you could pin the lil suckers to the tree ;) bet that would teach them. how close are neighbors? airguns are pretty quiet. as long as no one is watching i dont think you would have too much trouble, but remember it is illegal. i live beyond villiage limits but should check my laws lol. if they have a problem with me shootin my airgun out back (besides one or two 17 shots every so often for a woodchuck) then they got problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dunno, with headshots (standard darts) or heart/lung with broadhead points and a blowgun, a lot of stuff just plain drops dead. I shot a big rat (probably more mass than most squirrels) behind the shoulder and it just slumped. I thought I had missed it or something, but it was dead as John Denver.

Now if you miss the vitals (with non broadheads), it'll run/fly off. The good news is, it might even heal up and live.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, guys, I got some good ideas. I especially like the conibear one. Poisons are out since I have a dog and cat. However, I think I may have solved the problem. At least for now. I saw the squirrel jump from the house to a swing chain and then from there to the tree above where the sheet metal band was. Now, mind you, I had put a metal funnel guard on the chain so they couldn't climb it but didn't realize it could jump as far as it did............ :confused:

I removed the swing (don't use it much anyway) and we'll see if the squirrel finds another way to get up the tree. This little sucker has been outsmarting me so far..... :mad:

·
Registered
393 Posts
ever watch a squirrel climb onto a power pole and short out the transformer? BANG!!!! it's kinda cool. i use a .177 pellet gun, no more than 495 feet per second, and if you hit ti right with a good pellet, it'll drop dead. but usually it takes more than 1 shot. good luck. and BTW, the squirel could sit on the live wire all day as long as it doesn't touch anything but the wire, like a bird sitting on a power line, as long as it isn't grounded or touching something else, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:D Well, the charged chain would have been good if it worked but the sucker was jumping about 5' to the chain and then another 6'-7' from there to the tree. If it finds another way to get up the tree, I think I may have to put a pellet in him. I will have to do it when my wife and mother-in-law are gone or I would never hear the end of it.......... :(

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PassPigeon said:
;)

and to think, I didn't even get a chance to mention using the rc airplane with an oversized spinner.
:D With a miniature remote controlled 22 pistol mounted on it?? I think that **** squirrel would see it coming. So far he's been smarter than me. I am waiting to see if he will find another way to get on the tree. It's been 2 days now and so far I haven't seen him up there.............maybe this is it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.