Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mdl 13 project that has the original barrel(light contour, never been re-lined) with the correct sights but has a spot in the bore that when running a patchworm you feel it "free up". The spot is right in the middle and is easily visible with the naked eye. There is no bulge in the barrel and when looking at the spot the marks completely circle the bore, in other words there is not a spot on one side or the other. Anyone have experience with shooting a bore like this and the resultant accuracy, might just leave it alone? I'm heading to the range Sunday to test it out. The rest of the bore is in excellent shape as is the exterior which makes it a good candidate for a re-line. Any ideas what the cost is for a liner and labor to install? Any recommendations as to brand of liner as I'm leaning towards a 17HM2(already have the 17hmr) or a 22 Short Match chamber to shoot the subsonic match pistol ammo. It's important to me to keep the original even if the cost is more that a new barrel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
cmjr I can not help with any info on relining as I am in the UK but it sounds like a ring caused by the classic shot fired in a bore still with oil in it, not that uncommon. A friend has a BSA Century with this conditin and as long as it is not too near the muzzle will shoot well as does his. Good Shooting TJ.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Take a single thickness of printer paper. Hold the edge of it with your thumb and forefinger with your fingers on top of the paper. Place the paper on the your gun barrel. With moderate pressure slide the paper up and down the barrel and see if you can feel the bulge.

Check to see if the gun shoots before lining.

Lining is pretty straight forward in the small Martini. Drill the bore out, slide the liner in and glue it in place, chamber, crown cut extractor relief, crown, polish chamber, cold blue liner end, go shooting.

I buy my liners from Brownells, they are made by Redman's. 17Mach2 is a good way to go and only requires a reline to change back to .22LR.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Reline or fire lap?

CMJR: I have had Tom Ivanoff in Cody, WY (Tom's Gun Repair) line two small action martini barrels for me. One in 22LR, the other in 17HMR. He does very nice work and has a speedy turn around time. Last I checked (over a year ago) he was charging about $130. That got your rifle lined, chambered, re-blued (He solders rhe lining), and shipped back to you.

Have you considered fire lapping the bore? I have had very good results on my cadet and a 22 Hornet martini.

Ed

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed, I'm gonna shoot it first as I would prefer to keep it a 22lr. I'll run about 100 rounds through it to see if accuracy drops off. The crown looks fine so I'm hoping whatever happens as it travels down the bore is stabilized by the time it exits. Douglas, neat trick with the paper, I still can't find any evidence of bulging and I took quite awhile with some calipers once I was able to locate the exact spot. I'm pretty determined to keep her in original trim as I've been looking for a complete Mdl13 for awhile.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Some times with the paper you have to rub it back and forth rapidly to feel the bulge. Easier to find bugles and imperfections with the paper than micrometers. If the barrel has an original liner the liner could be bulged and the barrel sleeve won't be. You can't see a lot of barrel liners if done right, even some of mine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
BSA Mark 2 , oil barrel bulge

I can't believe I did this , my barrel was dirty , and the chamber was not ejecting the brass , so…. Overnight I used a patch with hoppies #9 , the next day I did not run a dry patch thru the barrel , forgot , if you run a nylon brush down the barrel it skips , you can feel where the bulge is , NOW I have a oil barrel bulge , this was a one hole gun , does anyone have any suggestions, barrel re-lining for my BSA , who is doing bsa relining , Readman does not do BSA relying .

·
Registered
12 Posts
BSA follow up Barrel Bulge

I have shot over a1000 round thru this rifle , since I bulge the barrel , no difference, heart breaking , I spoke to Readman and they are no longer relining BSA Barrels , thanks for the info on John Taylor . I call Monday , Duffy's in Maryland said he has reline BSA bArrels , they import the rifles from the UK and sell them . Making the correct decision is not easy .
Thank you for your help

I'll look on EBay now , there is a Mark one Barrel for sale

·
Registered
238 Posts
As Tony says above shoot the gun before you reline. It may still be accurate. If so keep shooting it.

Redman would be good for liners. https://redmansrifling.com/gun-barrel-relining/

I prefer John Taylor for lining. https://johntaylormachine.com/
+1 to that, as John did a great job on my Model 13 heavy-barrel (which was an option, per original ads) Martini. With a borescope it looked like a sewer pipe, and NO amount of cleaning could ever get all the crud out of the bore.

Old No7

·
Premium Member
6,648 Posts
The only thing I will add is I do not recommend relining and chambering to .22 short. I have been there and done that, with tight .22 short chambers and 1:20" twist barrels. No joy. Even the match .22 short ammunition is not very consistent and would shoot only mediocre groups with a Lilja and with a VQ (Lothar Walther) barrel, including R25 and Eley .22 Short Match. Honestly, the CCI Short Target was the best, but the groups were three times the size of the .22 LR groups after I rechambered to .22 LR.

Though they are good, Redman liners are not the only option. You might consider one of the Track of the Wolf 3/8" OD liners:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1

The .17 HM2 is also a good idea. I bought a very nice BSA M13 with the intent of relining and chambering it for the .17 WSM. I backed off for two reasons: 1) I wasn't certain I could increase FP energy sufficiently for the heavier case, and 2) I was concerned the location of the FP was too far inboard for consistent ignition. This was early on when the .17 WSM was first introduced, and I now feel I made the right choice. Obviously no issue with the .17 HM2.

Good luck

TBR

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Lead going down a barrel ...

Lead going down a barrel will not "bump up" if there is an area of larger diameter and if the muzzle end is of a tight constriction, it should shoot well. The problems arise when the muzzle end has a larger interior diameter than the rest of the barrel and that is very bad. Somewhat common practice is to slug the bore and cut it at the point of tightest restriction, assuming a legal length. Lots of otherwise not perfect barrels can shoot very well and lots of seemingly perfect barrels can shoot only so so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oil bulge...this explains the bulge or small non bore contact with a patch half way through the barrel in one of my 12/15. Mine has no discernable exterior bulge that I can feel, and shoots as equally as my other 12/15. As stated by others above, shoot it first.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
If you decide that your rifle needs a re-line, you might also consider sending it to Chesebro Rifles. Mark Chesebro lined my Model 12 with a Redman liner and it's a very good shooter - if I do my part :D !

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Though they are good, Redman liners are not the only option. You might consider one of the Track of the Wolf 3/8" OD liners:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1
I beleive the liners Track of the Wolf sells are TJ liners, also a good liner.

The .17 HM2 is also a good idea. I bought a very nice BSA M13 with the intent of relining and chambering it for the .17 WSM. I backed off for two reasons: 1) I wasn't certain I could increase FP energy sufficiently for the heavier case, and 2) I was concerned the location of the FP was too far inboard for consistent ignition. This was early on when the .17 WSM was first introduced, and I now feel I made the right choice. Obviously no issue with the .17 HM2.

Good luck

TBR
Striker impact point is very easy to adjust.

Google "Instructions for Armourers Martini Henry" by Fredric Faust. Buy a copy-usually less than $10. I has instruction on adjust striker impact as well as load position. It can be done with a stone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.