Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing a Green Mountain 22 short barrel and re-chambering it to 22 lr ( stinger version). What is your input on the accuracy potential of
this conversion ??? The stinger version is 20" with a 1 in 18" twist and the short barrel has a 1 in 20" with a length of 16". I'm interested in the shorter barrel for my 77/22 and wished that they produced more variations in the 16" .920 for 77/22's. Anyone esle interested in this configuration ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If your goal is a 16" barrel with a Stinger chamber, wouldn't it be easier to start with a Stinger barrel and have it cut & recrowned? You'd already have the correct chamber and rate of twist, and I'd think any good gunsmith would be able to cut and recrown a 77/22 barrel.

On edit: I see the problem with that... the barrel's fluted. Never mind...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MATT-MAN

Your'e right the fluting changes the picture........ one reason behind this question is price ..........you can buy the 22 short barrel for $70 and the stinger barrel for $130 . Add in the cost of re-chambering or shortening the barrel to 16".
I'm just wondering if a guy would be wasting money and time in this project ? How much difference is 2" rate of twist accuracy wise with hyper ammo ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.