Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am in the process of a rifle build. I bought a standard blue 10/22. (Randy has done the bolt for me and ttshooter is in the process of working on my trigger group.) When i put the bolt back into the action it feels and sounds raspy when I pull it back and forth. Is it a bad idea to sand the "bluing" out of the action to make it smoother? Or is there another method to make it smoother. I realize that when the gun has some rounds through her it will "smoothen-up? As always....Thank you!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Not sure what your feeling, it may be the rough cast in the receiver, or it could be the operating rod, you can polish the rod, on the receiver it's best just to put 1000 rounds of some cheap high velocity ammo thru her and get it all working together. You can also try a teflon dry lube like Hoppe's, that may also help

Clint

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trigger group is not installed. It's just sort of a nasty "sandpaperish" sound. I am sure that when she gets a few rounds through her she will smooth up. I dont think its the rod it just seems to be the way the bolt rides in the receiver.

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,329 Posts
A lot of new 10/22's feel that way... Most of the problem on new receiver is the guide rod, I just take a piece of Scotch brite cloth or fine sand paper and with guide rod out of receiver - I pull the charging handle back and polish rod up and down, clean, then lite coat with a teflon lube... As Clint says, A thousand rounds threw the rifle will often also nicely polish the rod and smooth things and putting a couple of bricks through is a good way, maybe then re-disassemble, clean, lube...
The top inside of the receiver were the scope mount screws hole show thru is fine stoned to remove any burrs and smoothed, then cleaned and the thin rail that guides the bolts is litely oiled with teflon lube also... A rough Ruger receiver is rare but there are a few...
I do that on all 10/22's receivers, blue or stainless colored, old or new... There is a lot of these small items that are done as part of a tuneup but not published because the list is long and customers just expect the weapon to be fully serviced... (Another is the 'boss', c'bore on the face of the receiver were the barrel sits is always litely recut and squared to receiver hole, this small stuff is also done even if its only a simple 'Action Tune"... List of every little thing would be very long)...
(Rail and rod lube that I use is a automotive product called "Tufoil", comes in a 8 oz bottle and since I use it very sparingly, a bottle will last be a lifetime... It is 'thick' if you think of it as oil, about 100 weight, but since its not oil I like to think of it as super light weight grease, slick 'grease' lightning)...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks Clint and Randy for your input! I will try polishing the rod up...I think though like you both said it is a matter of getting some rounds through the action to smoothen it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.