Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time with my new used gun. Blued Slab Side target MKII 22/45, 2 brand new mags, one used. Topped by Weigland rail, and Leupold Gilmore red dot.

Ammo used:
100 rounds Federal Gold Medal Target (40gr, solid lead) -Great-
100 rounds Winchester Super X (high velocity, 40gr, lead, lubaloy coated) -eh-
100 rounds Remington brass-plated HP (525 golden bullet pack) -Worst-

Sighting in was rapid, and easily done, 3to4 shot groups and adjust, done 4 times to be dead on. Accuracy was great, but reliability was another issue...

First 5 clips of Remington, i had 3 light strikes, 1 FTE where i had to ream it out, and stove pipes in all mags during the 7th, to 9th round. After clearing the left over round fired fine. I was really worried about the mags being the problem, and each sp round was gashed accross the bullet head, and bent at the neck.

Next 5 clips of Winchester. I light strike and 2 stove pipes, the 8th then 9th round when it happened. So now i figure maybe those two mags are worse, and one is good.

Next 5 clips of Federal. All load and extract perfectly. No jams, no fte, or ftf or sp. Hooray.. But now my scope mount had backed off and had some play in it so i removed it. I definately got it down tighly, but did not locktight it. After removing it I found the stock sights completely adequate and my groups just hardly open up.

Encouraged by the reliability, i open another box and do another 50 rounds of Federal... flawless. Not one problem in all the 100 rounds.

Next i open another 50 rounds of of Winchester, another light strike, and 3 stove pipes FTF's one in each mag but on reloading two mags worked perfectly.

Now back to Remington- still verry problematic. I didnt even count the light strikes and ftf's this time,... there were a bunch.

Conclusion. MkII is def. ammo finiky and so far mine has its clear fav's and clear problems. I will keep experimenting with ammo, and definately lock tight down my weigland base.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the report. I've had a lot of problems with the bulk Rem ammo.

I've definitely found that the 36g rounds feed more reliably than the 40s. I did find some 40 g Winchesters that worked well (but I don't remember the exact name right now) but they were more expensive than most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.