Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Range Report H001 with Marbles Tang Peep

3862 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Fuzzface
I spent some quality time at the Range this weekend with my new Henry H001 rifle. I had mounted a Marbles Tang Peep Sight on her and did some plinking, yet never really spend any time adjusting the sights.

So after some shooting and adjusting and shooting, I ended up with this:

Distance of 25 yards, Iron Sights, Standing, 25 Shots, Ammo: CCI Blazer

Other than the one flier @ 5 O'Clock, (which is probably my fault) my Henry does a fine job!

I think if I used a Bench Rest, I could place 25 rounds inside a 1" dia. circle @ 25 yards! I'll have to try that next weekend and see if I am right. :rolleyes:

Henry makes a fine rifle and a great value, in my humble opinion.

The only issue I have with my H001 is that its so much fun to shoot I am spending all my "entertainment money" on ammo! ;)

Take care and have fun Shooting! :bthumb:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 50+ year young eyes and have trouble focusing on the front sight AND have an open rear sight stay sharp. Thus the Tang Peep Sight solves this issue perfectly, works great, and looks period correct as a bonus! I recommend them for all shooters. :bthumb:

Here are some better pictures of the Marbles Tang Sight on my H001;

My Henry H001 and a $20 brick of CCI Blazer ammo is all I need for an afternoon of fun at the range :yippee: And the Tang Peep Sight makes it possible!

Take Care and have fun Shooting!

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@J.Price - How difficult was it to install the tang sight?
The one modification that is required is to Drill & Tap the front mounting hole in the Tang for the sight base. This is a #10-32 threaded hole at a distance of 2.260" from the original screw in the Tang. You can take two paths to accomplish this task:

1. Find a local Machine Shop or Gunsmith and pay them to Drill & Tap the hole.

or

2. Buy a Drill & Tap Set and Drill & Tap the hole yourself. (this is not difficult, if you have some basic mechanical skills and the correct tools)

I am lucky enough to work with several different machine shops and had them do this on all 3 of my Henry rifles (at different times). I removed the Receiver Cover and it took them about 15 minutes (maybe less) to Drill & Tap the hole. I found the guys in the Machine Shop at Work were happy to do this as they liked working on "Fun Stuff"........

I would estimate the cost for this at less than $25, if I had to pay for it. Which is less than the cost of a good Drill & Tap set (w/handle).

Take Care & Have Fun Shooting :bthumb:

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Were you shooting off hand? If not that group is huge since off a rest 1" groups @ 25yds are the norm for open sights.

Iv'e been thinking about a peep too. I had fluro orange paint on my front sight which helps a ton, but it got rubbed off by my leather scabbard. I think I need to drill a divot in the brass then fill it with paint.

· Registered
361 Posts
Were you shooting off hand? If not that group is huge since off a rest 1" groups @ 25yds are the norm for open sights........t.
Motor 7;
It says right on the target that he was standing, and I think he done good.

J.Price;
I would encourage you to continue to choose shooting distances that give the kind of separation that you have on this target. Trying to cram a bunch of shots into a small group by shooting close just makes scoring difficult or impossible and impresses only those who don't know enough about shooting to have a worthwhile opinion. At my current level of skill, 50 yards is close enough to keep all shots on the paper without crowding if I'm shooting from a chair with arm rests for my left elbow and shooting sticks for barrel support---not good enough to justify bragging but better than it was within memory. If I improve enough to keep a dozen shots within a couple inches I'll start shooting at 75 yards. As they say at G.E, "Progress is our most important product."

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuzz,

Thanks for the kind advise. For my H001 (.22LR) I am sticking with 25 & 50 yards (free standing). I find shooting with iron sights a lot more difficult than the bench rest shooting with my Savage Mk II & Scope. It is amazing how difficult it is (for me) to stand still while aiming :eek: , maybe the younger shooters are more stable. I am having fun shooing my Henry with "period correct" sights from the late 1800's, and figure I'm doing fairly well if I can place them inside a 3" diameter circle @ 25 yards. It's the challenge that is the fun part - whatever your skill level is......:bthumb:

For the longer distances I am using my Henry H001TV (.17HMR). It has the same rear Tang sight, and I am experimenting with a Lyman front globe sight with replaceable inserts. At the moment I have not found the best front insert for me. For the target below, I tried the "double cross hatch" insert, yet at 50 yards the 2" diameter "red center" of the target was much smaller than the center square in the sight and thus difficult to place in the same spot every shot.

I was using a front bag rest on the bench and had to kneel on the ground. (Our range is really setup for pistol shooters). Even with the front rest, every slight movement in my body seemed to make a big change in the POI in my sights! - I do think I need a minor tweak to the right in the rear sight to center the group. ;)

I have a lot of respect for iron sight shooters, it takes more skill than I have at the moment, yet I am working on it :bthumb:

Take care and have fun shooting!

· Registered
1,825 Posts
Not bad at all for 50yds. JP, standing off hand is a hard position to get small groups, you right it does take skill and tons of practice. I like shooting steel off hand and have a little walk through the woods range on my place. Getting those spinners going is pretty fun. You might consider a sling, with proper use it really locks things down and will help shrink those groups.

· Registered
661 Posts
J - i think that's a great target! I wouldn't worry about the "flyer" at 5 o'clock . . . just tell everyone it's a "reference point"! :D

Fuzz - your comment about "shooting close" to the target reminds me of what I do with a new pistol. It may sound funny, but whenever I have a new or a "new to me" pistol, I actually do start "close up" to the target. I usually start off at about 10 feet and then fire a number of rounds until I can create a good group - then I back up another 5 feet and repeat the process. I keep this up until I am at a distance of about 15 yards or so. Yes, it uses up some ammo but I find it extremely helpful in learning the point of aim. (I'm talking CF - 38 spl., 9 mm) but i also have done it with my 22 pistols and found it extremely helpful - revolver & semi-auto. Of course with the different calibers you also have to get used to the trajectory of the cartridge. After repeating this four or five times on different days, you soon become acquainted with the pistol, any "quirks" it may have, how it reacts with different loads, etc.

Since I'm just getting back in to shooting rimfire rifles, I'll probably utilize the same technique to see how it works. 22 ammo is pretty cheap so it's not going to break the bank to give it a try. I just got a Ruger MK III Target and the first time I had it out I tried about 5 different brands/types of HV 22s out of it. I was surprised at the differences in accuracy between the different cartridges. I had the best luck with lead round nose Winchester "Wildcats" (some ammo I've had kicking around for 15 years or so). I figure with my Henry, once i find a brand/load that works well, I'll stick with it. When I had it at the range, I found that CCI Mini Mags as well as the Wildcats shot pretty well out of it. I want to try some of the cheaper bulk - I prefer plain lead round nose - and see how she does with that.

I think J's target was pretty nice - I hope he'll post some more from future range sessions as I imagine he'll tighten that group up shooting offhand even more.

· Registered
361 Posts
..... and I am experimenting with a Lyman front globe sight with replaceable inserts. At the moment I have not found the best front insert for me...........
J.:
Try putting the single cross-hairs in the Lyman, then ignore the bullseye and concentrate on aligning the cross-hairs with the vertical and horizontal centerlines on the target. When I first tried that approach I found that it was not only easier but also forced me to correct a bad habit of slightly tilting the rifle to the right.
You may have trouble seeing the centerlines on the target. I use targets that I drew up myself with 1/4"-wide lines and print on a b&w lazer printer. If you like, PM me your email address and I will send you a .pdf-file of the target.
Fuzz

· Registered
661 Posts
I haven't had time to go through all of the pages of targets, but this site has a lot of targets that can be downloaded in PDF and run off for free. Check it out as you may find some that will work for you (for paper punching) . . .

http://targetz.com/targets01.htm

There are lots of pages of various targets and if you can find something that you like, lit's a whole lot cheaper than buying 'em! :bthumb:

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had time to go through all of the pages of targets, but this site has a lot of targets that can be downloaded in PDF and run off for free. Check it out as you may find some that will work for you (for paper punching) . . .

There are lots of pages of various targets and if you can find something that you like, lit's a whole lot cheaper than buying 'em! :bthumb:
I agree :t I made the target I use, and print them on 100lb card stock. The heavier paper makes them hold up better if there is a breeze, and they are easier to score. Here are links to PDF versions of my Pistol Target & Bench Rest Rifle Target:

8" Pistol Target

3" Bench Rest Rifle Target

Once you open the link, you can save the PDF file to your PC. Use them if you want! :bthumb:

Take Care & Have Fun Shooting!

· Registered
361 Posts
Been there. Done that. Then drew my own and never looked back.
Fuzz

· Registered
436 Posts
good shooting

yeah offhand is a whole new ballgame. but i would bench it to adjust sites. i really like the period look of those sites. im sold now,gonna put a set on mine. as far as the targets i just picked 4 that i liked 2 target and 2 games targets. i just printed up 1 of each and ran down to a cheapo print shop. i got 200,50 each for 13 bucks in black and white. set for awhile.

· Registered
14 Posts
order parts

J.Price
Very nice job and looks period. I have been thinking along the same lines for a tang site set-up on my H0001T. I'm not sure of the part numbers, etc. Can you help a bit with Marble numbers? Also, did you change the front site in any way? All mods line up ok?

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
J.Price
Very nice job and looks period. I have been thinking along the same lines for a tang site set-up on my H0001T. I'm not sure of the part numbers, etc. Can you help a bit with Marble numbers? Also, did you change the front site in any way? All mods line up ok?
I have added this Marbles Tang Sight on the following Henry Rifles: H001, H001M and H001TV. All worked fine with the existing front sight, no change in any way.

I later changed the Front Sight on my H001TV from the original Marbles Bead to a Lyman 17A-HB (Globe with replaceable inserts). This also worked fine.

The part numbers are as follows:
Brownells# - Marbles# - Description - Cost
579-000-150 #009848 HENRY .22 CAL SIGHT FOR H001 $92.84
579-000-105 #995006 PEEP SIGHT SCREW SETS $ 4.35
579-087-100 #001187 MARBLE #87 DOVETAIL SLOT BLANK $ 3.56

I always put a Dovetail Slot Blank inplace of the original Rear sight.

Here is a link to my H001TV with the Lyman 17A-HB Front Globe & Marbles Rear Tang Sight: Click Here

Hope this helps.... :bthumb:

Take Care and Have Fun Shooting!

· Registered
661 Posts
J & Fuzzface - don't blame you! Sometimes you're further ahead drawing up your own - you can at least get what you really want then. I ran a couple off from that site to use the last time I was at the range - primarily for use with my MK III Target - it gave me a better sight picture as I wasn't trying to put black sights on black paper. I like the idea of using the 100lb stock as it certainly would hold up better. I was at an indoor range so it really wasn't a "wind" issue but I was on a center lane and due to their ventilation system, my target was "swinging" which made for an interesting range session.

Just curious - does anyone know of any links to sites that you can print off "varmint targets"? Just for something different, I'd like to try some "crow", "woodchuck", etc. targets. Thanks. :)

· Registered
661 Posts
Duh! Never mind . . . I went back to the target site that I left the link for and found what I was looking for under the "Game" tag. I really don't care much for the "standard" targets they have but there are some novelty targets that look like fun for plinking. If I had looked further I would have tripped over the targets I was seeking . . . :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.