Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1416 arrived today and I mounted a B&L 64-6244 scope on it. Had to put a shim under the rear mount to center the elevation adjustment, but it's rock-solid and looks very good. With the 3" sunshade, the barrel is only 12" longer than the scope though. It'll make weight requirements for the Silhouette Sporter class easily.

Shooting from a rest at 50 meters I got the following 5-shot groups (all measured edge-to-edge):

Remington Std. Velocity - 13/16" (4 shots with a flyer out 1/2" at 11 o'clock)

Federal Champion High Velocity - 7/8" (0.65" center-to-center)

RWS - 1 5/8"

CCI Standard Velocity - 9/16" (0.34" center-to-center)

I'll go back tomorrow and try some more brands, but it appears that I can practice cheaply with the Federal and shoot CCI Std. Velocity for matches.

I'm more than pleased with the accuracy and, best of all, it is a beautiful rifle too. I intend to follow steinie's advice and work on the creep with the trigger though. It does need some adjustment. Thanks again for the advice guys, you were all in the 10-ring.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Try some Federal Gameshoc ammo. Only a little more expensive than Champion. It is copper washed if you care about that. But my 1416 will usually knock out almost all 5 shot groups between .5 and .6 inches using that ammo.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Keep pumping the ammo through...

and make sure the parallax is adjusted out. Finding the right ammo is the key.

The 1416 has a small black screw on the side of the trigger cage that adjusts the sear. Cock the rifle. Turn the small screw until the rifle fires and then turn it back 1/8 to 1/4 turn. That results in a perfectly crisp trigger.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trigger Creep/Weight?

Thanks Dan, I did adjust the creep by the method you described (steinie was kind enough to also provide instructions) and the trigger is crisp and clean now. It may be a bit light though. Silhouette rules require a 2 lb. pull weight. Which screw adjusts trigger weight and which direction increases pull weight?

I shot the first sighting group this afternoon without adjusting the parallax and it was discouraging. The lights went on, I adjusted it and things were good from there on. It is a great scope and fitting for a rifle of the quality of the Anschutz. Hey, it;s a 100% German-made outfit too:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used but....

the gunsmith at the FFL who received it asked me if it was new or used and he'd had a chance to look it over. It is pristine except for a tiny mark near the buttplate. I will check the trigger after I shoot tomorrow and adjust if necessary. It just seems sort of light but, then, I'm used to much lower quality triggers. I sure got a nice one!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ran out of Scope

adjustments so I removed the scope and put a piece of plastic (from a milk jug) under the scope tube inside the rear mount. Back to the range: It took 60 clicks to bring the crosshairs back on target at 40 meters but I have plenty of adjustments left for 60, 77 and 100 meters. Groups with Remington standard velocity at 100 M were about 3/4" so I guess it isn't all that bad. I spent some time popping soda cans at 40 M after confirming that the crosshairs had returned to zero when I cranked the scope back down after shooting at 100. It got too hot to continue but I'll work on the other brands tomorrow. The accuracy of the rifle is simply amazing.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
3/4" at 100 meters is fantastic...

and probably not the norm. Don't be disappointed if the Annie shoots around 1.25"-1.5" at 100 meters. Thats the accepted accuracy for most silhouette rifles.

Since 100 meters is actually 110 yards, at 50 yards you will be shooting sub .5" groups with a rifle that shoots like that. Sounds like your rifle will be capable of .3"-.4" groups at 50 yards.

Enjoy and keep searching for ammo.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're correct Dan

I have no illusions about accuracy with the rifle. It shoots better than I can by far. I got a 0.34" group at 50 meters the other day but don't expect that on a regular basis. I reload for several centerfire rifles that don't drop below the sound barrier at 100 yds so they don't suffer the same possible disruption of flight path that .22 LR does. Even with them and my carefully tailored loads I've seldom had one shoot as well as the Annie. Like I said, I'm amazed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.