Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8,058 Posts
lots of people myself included wouldnt waste my money on them anymore the ones that i had pre-ban were ok but not great the post bans are basicly junk. guess ram-line forgot how to make high-caps during the ban. go for the BC steel lips a little $$$ but very reliable and durable. keep :snipersmi

· Registered
203 Posts
I have a 30 and a 50. They work fine for me, but maybe I got lucky. The important thing is to be very careful how you load the first 3 rounds. You need to make sure that the rounds go to the correct side. If the 3rd round goes to the wrong side it can screw up the magazine. I found this out the hard way, but they replaced it no questions asked. Load the thing up and let it set for a week.

· Registered
213 Posts
K10/22 SPF

This is what I posted elsewhere on the Ram-Line 50round mag (post ban).

Originally Posted by StraDog
Original magazine purchased in March 2005.

#1. It was an absolute bear to load, a real thumb-buster. although the package states it is easy to load and easy on the thumbs.

#2. Jammed on the second round. Tried multiple types of ammo. Roundnose worked sorta, but still jammed by the 3rd or 4th round. Even jammed when loaded with only 5 rounds.

Called Ram-Line. After a lot of talk about not using hollow points etc,etc, they admitted the first batch of mags had the springs wound too heavy. Shipped it back for a replacement three weeks ago.(late June 2005). Called and was told it is a slow process, will be another 2-3 three weeks!!

Thus far I am not impressed with the product or the service. I will report back when I recieve the replacement.

August 2005:

OK, As the man says: now for the rest of the story:

I received the replacement 50 round mag on Monday 15 Aug, 6 weeks warranty turn around.
Shipped from
Ammunition Accessories Inc
Onalaska Operations
""Thank you for using Outers Products. Enclosed, please find a replacement part which is being sent to you at no charge. We apologize for any inconvenience you have been caused."

Also enclose was a Letter from Ram-Line:

"Enclosed is your replacement Ram-Line magazine. This magazine has been inspected and test-fired at the factory to ensure quality performace.
(Pleae take into consideration that our magazines are not intended for use with truncated bullets.)

OK. Nice letters and as I was told on the phone it is not designed for use with hollow-points. I do have to wonder who the poor guy is who sits out back all day test firing 50 round magazines??? Well I guess someone has to do it to ensure happy customers.

I loaded the mag on Monday night. It is much easier to load that the original. Although not a breeze. I doubt one can pack 50 rounds into anything with total ease, loading this magazine is not an unreasonable task. The last 15 round do take more effort that the first 35.
I loaded it with Winchester dynapoints, which was all I had on hand except my Wolf match extra. Dynapoints are more of a dimple than a hollowpoint.

Firing: Two five round bursts, no problems so I ripped off the remaining 40 rounds as fast as possible = no problems. Reloaded. Someone needs to invent a "majic" reloader for this thing. It was 94 degrees with a heat index of 107, reloading 50 rounds was just no fun in this heat (personal problem).
Ripped off 50 rounds as fast as I cound tap the trigger.
Now that was fun! People are starting to stare.
I am now happy with the Ram-Line 50 round Double Stack magazine. Time will tell about durability. I have a pre-ban 30 round that has survived years of use and abuse.

Conclusion:
1. If you buy one of these mag and have problems, send it back and get a good one.
2. Get an apprentice, convince grasshopper he must spend years learning to properly load magazines to become a marksman.
3. Health Warning: Using hicap magazine is a leading cause of "Post Ammo Depression" .
Currently the only approved treatment is an increased dosage.

· Registered
26 Posts
:t I have three new 50 rd RL magazines. I have had no problems so far. I have a friend who has a Calico twin 10/22 crank kit and we burned up 1000+ rounds in a hour or two with them the other day and had very few malfunctions (magazine) related that is... :D So I'm happy with them. I need to get a ram like magazine loader like BC's has because they are hard on the thumbs even if they say they are not thumb busters they still work you thumbs over good. Does anyone know if ram-line magazine loaders work as well as butler creeks loader does? B2B :D

· Registered
480 Posts
I have 6 of them (pre-ban) that I use in my M11-9 sub pistol (converted to .22LR)
I have fired 10's of thousands of rounds through them with few problems (although 1100 rpm is damned hard on any magazine!)
They do tend to wear out at that speed, however.

In my experience, they are FAR supperior to Butler Creek (and forget about "Eagle"!!)

Buy a Ram-Line loader. Your fingers and thumbs will love you for it!

· Registered
218 Posts
I have had 3 pre-ban ram lines for years, all three are now worn out. The BC clips did not really last any longer (all 30 rounders, they fit in my back pocket any better)

After 10+ years and 10,000 rounds give or take from my RamLine loader now a bit worn out, I decided to try the BC loader.

Boy I wasted my money, that thing is a pain in the rear and takes almost as long as loading by hand.

So I sold the BC at the next gun show for $10.00 and Bought another Ramline loader from E. Arthur Brown for $30.00 and now fill up 3x30rd clips in less than a minute.

As far as BC steel lips go, I recently bought 2. One works fine, the other one misfeeds and jams like crazy.

In summary

Ramline and BC hot lips can both work fine until they wear out.

BC steel lips work fine if they are manufactured correctly in the first place.

BC loaders suck salty lemons through straws.

Ram line loaders work great until you wear them out.

· Registered
78 Posts
I tried out my Ram Line 50 rounder and it fed flawlessly in 30 degree weather. I could only get 49 rounds into it but I didn't try to force it since it's new. The magazine is a pain to load, the spring is very stiff compared to my 25 and 30 rounders so I'm going to buy a magazine loader. The feed lip also has a sharp edge which was also hard on my thumb, I probably have to round it off if it won't hurt the magazine's performance.

My Eagle 30 round magazines look flimsy because they are transparent but they work flawlessly.

I also have Pro Mag magazines which are good but will misfeed if loaded full but work flawlessly after that, they may need breaking to eliminate the problem or I'm loading 27 rounds into the magazine.

A good magazine pouch for these hi caps is an AK pouch, it will take four magazines in the large pockets and one factory magazine in the small pocket.

· Registered
2,217 Posts
My Ramline 50 rd mag was so bad that I returned it to Gander Mountain. The BC 25rd clips work great after they break into the bolt. I used to have 8 Eagle clips, but they started jamming after they got dirty and never figured out a good way to clean them.

· Registered
213 Posts
uzitiger said:
I tried out my Ram Line 50 rounder and it fed flawlessly in 30 degree weather. I could only get 49 rounds into it but I didn't try to force it since it's new. The magazine is a pain to load, the spring is very stiff compared to my 25 and 30 rounders so I'm going to buy a magazine loader. The feed lip also has a sharp edge which was also hard on my thumb, I probably have to round it off if it won't hurt the magazine's performance.
uzitiger, I bought a BC loader due to the sore thumb issue. It works, but not great. Other reviews say the Ramline loader is much better. You may want to check it out before deciding.

· Registered
213 Posts
batmanacw said:
My Ramline 50 rd mag was so bad that I returned it to Gander Mountain. The BC 25rd clips work great after they break into the bolt. I used to have 8 Eagle clips, but they started jamming after they got dirty and never figured out a good way to clean them.
The first batch of Ramline rd mags had bad springs. I returned mine to Ramline under the warranty. The replacement works great.

· Registered
213 Posts
StraDog said:
The first batch of Ramline rd mags had bad springs. I returned mine to Ramline under the warranty. The replacement works great.
Would you happen to have Ram-line's current warranty address? I have several older Ram-line 50 rd. magazines that have either split, snapped off their rear locating pin or have broken springs. All of my magazines came with life time replacement warranties but since mine were made in the early 1990's, the factory address seems to have changed. Thanks!

· Registered
135 Posts
I have 2 new 50 rounders. Both are pathetic. They won't load and won't feed.I've called Gary 3 tmies. No answer no call back. Looks like he really represents their product. Crap service for a crap product. No more RamLine for me.

Later,
Justin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.