Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Sorry, 10/22, but I'm an old farm boy from the ozarks. When I was growing up, we ate rabbit 3 ways:

1. Fried
2. w/ dumplings (replace chicken w/bunny)
3. Stewed (replace beef w/ bunny).

As far as I'm concerned thats all I need.

Well, and a good biscuit recipe.
And squirrels are interchangeable, too.

****, now I'm hungry!!!!!!

:t

·
Registered
191 Posts
The simplest anwser to your question is to use rabbit in place of chicken and have at it. I can supply you with some very involved recipies if you like. At work now but can post from home later today or bring to work tonight and post then.:confused:

·
Registered
678 Posts
any readings or stuff to do with rabbits was.. dont even bother killing them to eat. The reports indicated they are nutrientless and have little food value. I was perplexed?:confused:
apparently the intestines have more food value than the meat???Perhaps one of the Alaska fellas may shed some more light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am an avid rabbit hunter and cook. The common postulation that rabbit is without nutrition is not exactly true. While a human can certainly not live on rabbit exclusiviely, it is still a good source of protein and an important staple in a survival scenario diet when supplemented with the appropriate greens, vegetables, fruits, etc.

Now, for those of you who would like to expand your rabbit repertoire', here is a link or two for your consideration:

Australian Poached Rabbit with Bruschetta
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0003.shtml

Brandied Rabbit in Mustard Sauce
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0008.shtml

Baked Rabbit
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0001.shtml

Barbecued Rabbit
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0023.shtml

Sweet and Sour Hasenpfeffer
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0057.shtml

Suffolk Rabbit Pie
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0070.shtml

Stuffed Rabbit, Armagh Style (Irish)
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0069.shtml

Stewed Rabbit with Sauce
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0046.shtml

Southern Fried Rabbit with Gravy
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0015.shtml

English Rabbit
www.justgamerecipes.com/rabbit/rabb0059.shtml

These are but a few of the recipes available at www.justgamerecipes.com

Enjoy!

·
Registered
140 Posts
teriaki rabbit is good just merinade in teriaki like chicken and grill it. if you need a teriaki recipe here one is.

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup veg oil

1/3 cup fruit juice

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon ground ginger

dash of onion and garlic salt

·
Registered
156 Posts
You'll never taste a better pot pie than rabbit pot pie. I don't know who says rabbit has no nutritional value. The Anasazi, Paiutes, and many other Southwestern tribes ate lots of rabbit. It is not a food that can be eaten without any other supplements, but the same can be said about elk. It is the fact that many wild meats lack fats that the body needs. The advantage of buffalo is that it has those fats. That's why the Plains tribes could practically subsist on buffalo. The buffalo stores those fats to survive the winter. The lack of fats does not mean it lacks nutritional value; it just lacks fats the body needs. It isn't lacking protein. Lack of protein is just as bad as lacking fat. The Aztecs and Toltecs ate human beings to get protein they needed that was in short order via the animal kingdom in their locales.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Some facts about the nutrition value of rabbit.
1. ounce for ounce has more protine than ANY other commerical meat. Yes even buffalo or ostrich.

2. takes less feed than any other to produce a market weight carcus.

3. has less fat then even skinned chicken breast, which is the "benchmark" of low fat.

5. about 5 million lbs produced each year commercially world wide.

6. less than 500,000 lbs produced in the US annually.

I raise rabbit and chickens on the farm, eat the rabbits the chickens are for eggs only. Haven't eaten chicken, at our house, in so long I couldn't say when, at least ten years. Rabbits are better "chicken" then chicken.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hear you crawfish...

I'll take rabbit over chicken any day, especially if the choice is between wild rabbit and store-bought chicken. As far as nutrition is concerned, our bodies need fat and carbohydrates in addition to protein (e.g., rabbit meat). Digesting proteins actually requires more calories than we derive from the protein; hence the stories of people starving to death on a rabbit only diet. In fact, think "Atkins' Diet": people lose weight on high protein, low carbohydrate diets because they burn more calories than can be derived from the food ingested. I have found that I can lose a pound or two in just 24 hours by avoiding carbohydrates (which I normally thrive on) and eating one or two meals of chicken eggs instead.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Re: I hear you crawfish...

.22 coyote said:
especially if the choice is between wild rabbit and store-bought chicken. instead.
22coyote you said a mouthful there brother!! store bought is force fed, our chickens are free range grass hopper munching terrors. they land in our freezer.
Im still researching were i read the data on starving, but what you versed rings a bell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Re: I hear you crawfish...

varmastr said:
22coyote you said a mouthful there brother!! store bought is force fed, our chickens are free range grass hopper munching terrors. they land in our freezer.
Im still researching were i read the data on starving, but what you versed rings a bell.
I read about this in one of Bradford Angier's survival/camping books. He called it rabbit starvation. Essentially, if you try to survive on nothing but rabbit put on a spit and cooked over a fire you eventually die of kidney failure caused by nephritis. No fat/very high protein diet=kidney trying to filter an ungodly amount of protein by products= nephron destruction in the kidney. Huge amounts of bruising from trauma can do the same thing when your own muscle tissue starts breaking down from the injury.

I knew a high school wrestler who was trying to get down to another weight class by eating high protein/low fat and restricting fluids. He suffered enough kidney damage he eventually had to get a transplant from his brother. Now it's anti rejection drugs, low salt diet, and increased subceptability to cancer and infection for his lifetime. Bad stuff Maynard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ingredients:
1 Rabbit
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4cup white Wine (Chardonnay is a great choice)
1 clove Garlic, peeled, smashed and diced
1 tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 cup whole Pecans
1/4 cup clover Honey
3 tablespoons butter
2 firm Apples (we like red delicious)
Fresh cracked Pepper & Sea salt to taste

Prepare Marinade:
Mix olive oil, wine, garlic, sugar and fresh cracked pepper in a heavy duty Ziploc bag.

Place rabbit in bag and carefully rotate to coat. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.

Prepare the Pecan Butter:
Toast pecans on baking sheet in oven for 5 minutes at 350 F. Remove and let cool. Place pecans and 1-teaspoon sea salt in food processor or blender and chop until quite fine.

In a small pan heat honey and butter and whisk until blended. Cool in refrigerator until mixture starts to thicken. Add pecans and stir to blend all ingredients. Return to refrigerator until ready to use.

Cooking the Rabbit:
Remove rabbit and save the marinade. Let rabbit warm to room temperature

Preheat grill to medium-high. Place rabbit on bottom rack of an open grill and sear on each side for about 2 minutes.

Move rabbit to upper rack, brush with marinade, cover grill and cook for 15 minutes. Turn rabbit pieces, brush with marinade and cook for another 15 minutes. (Internal temperature of 160 F)

Peel, core and slice apples into 1/4 inch slices, brush with marinade and grill for 3 minutes per side on upper rack.

Serve rabbit over grilled apples and place a dollop of Pecan Butter on each piece.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I hear you crawfish...

RNSHUTZ said:
I read about this in one of Bradford Angier's survival/camping books. He called it rabbit starvation.
thanks, rnshutz, thats what i 'member too, just with all the right big words in the right places!:t
RN and anshtuz, very creative!
Im in the healthcare field too! Not the medical side though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.