Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new R-55 All weather. I really like the accuracy, but it has jammed almost every other round with two 10-shot mags. I had assumed it was the rifle. I switch to the 5 round mag which came with the rifle, and that cured the problem.

So, I am wondering, does anyone else have problems with their 10 round mags?

Dobe

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a new R-55 All weather. I really like the accuracy, but it has jammed almost every other round with two 10-shot mags. I had assumed it was the rifle. I switch to the 5 round mag which came with the rifle, and that cured the problem.

So, I am wondering, does anyone else have problems with their 10 round mags?

Dobe
I've been having the problem with 5 round mags lately after about 10 or 15 rounds.

I'm planning to contact TCA as I've gathered that some early production runs had this problem. When I asked the last customer service person why the guns seem hard to come by she admitted that they had to bring a whole bunch back due to jamming problems and that slowed production.

I'm guessing the one I got was an early run.

You're right, the accuracy is outstanding.

I'm not concerned. Every interaction I've had with TCA has been phenomenal. I have no doubt they'll make it right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please let me know what you find. I really enjoy the rifle, but if it weren't for the fact that I have at least one mag that works, I would have little use for the it.

Dobe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed a difference between my 10-rounders and my 5-rounder. The 5-rounder has a deeper back cut and side cuts. It seems to point the bullet higher.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Is it possible the 10 round mags. need a break-in? I shot about 200 rounds out of my T/C Sunday, and the 10 rounders functioned much better. They were not flawless, but I probably didn't have over 10 FTF. That is much better than before. I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why not try cleaning out the magazines in question? The come apart easily for this purpose and some foreign matter could cause problems with feeding and/or loading to capacity. Just be careful not to lose the plastic piece that fits between the bottom of the spring and the magazine's base plate. This is the part that has a round protrusion with TC's initials that sticks down through the center of the base plate to lock the base plate into position unless you deppress the protrusion. The spring can shoot this part out when the base plate is removed. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to say that this cannot be the cause. One doesn't normally expect two magazines of the same model to both foul at the same time. I've never had a new mag foul before, but I'm old enough to know that all things are possible. But then I'm going to have to ask myself why the 5 rounder didn't foul. Hmmmmm, I'll try your suggestion. At this point, the 10 round mags are the only thing keeping this rifle from being near perfect.

Actually, from reading the post above and other post concerning the R-55, I believe there is a design problem with some of the mags.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I suppose it's possible that some of the first generation of 10 round .22lr magazines that were made for the Classic family are still out there. They had problems, but they were redesigned. Maybe you somehow got two of those. The newer design is a thick walled aluminium casting with deep flutes up each side and holds the rounds with no side to side staggering at all. That's all I can remember. Years ago there was a picture of the new style magazine in this forum, but it's probably dropped into history a long time ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just returned from the range. It started out ok, but ended up with every round FTF out of the 10 and even the 5 round magazines. I no longer believe this to be a magazine issue, and will send it back to Thompson Center soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe I have figured out the problem. On the R-55, there is not a feed ramp, only an opening to the chamber. The edges are just a little too sharp. The bullet digs into to lower edge of the chamber as it feeds, or attempts to feed. When it does feed, the deformed bullet makes it difficult to chamber all of the way into battery.

I haven't sent the rifle back to T C, because I am still traveling. When I return home, I will send it back. I don't think it will take much to get it where it will function and feed properly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
New All Weather

Took my new R-55 All Weather .22lr to the range last week and it shot just great. Today I mounted a Browning 5-15x40 scope on it and will be taking it out next Wed. to sight it in. Good luck with yours. Let us know how you make out with sending it in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I wish you the best of luck. Even though I have had these issues, I am glad I made the purchase. It is a very accurate rimfire, with a nice trigger. It shoos very well.

·
36,602 Posts
I have three of each mag for my T/C Classic and they all work fine.

Is this rifle broken in? Does it have over 500-750 round through it? They sometimes need it.

They also do not like the extremely cheap bulk ammo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't know if it is a beak-in thing or not. Here is what happens. If it is very clean, it will shoot without much of a problem. Once it goes through about 100 rounds, it begins to have FTF and failure to go into battery if it does feed. Upon examining the bullets that are a part of the FTF malfunction, I find the lower part of the bullet just below the meplat is marred/dented. It appears as though the bullet is striking the lower part of the chamber.

On those rounds that are a part of the failure to go into battery malfunction, I notice that these rounds have a marred bullet also, but apparently not damaged enought to cause a FTF. The bullets envolved with the failure to go into battery seem to jam up in the chamber because of the deformed bullet.

When I clean the rifle, I notice a lot of brass particles after I vigorously scrub the bore with a bore brush and Hoppes No. 9. I am in my hotel now, and I just finished scrubbing down the R-55. I'll take it to the range again this weekend. I'll report back. Hopefully, this will subside, and I can enjoy my rifle the way I should.

As far as break-in period of 500-700, I hope that is all it is. I have about 300-400 through it now. Some of them were very irritating rounds down range because of the continual manfunctions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ammo

I've used a variety of ammo. I stared out with Wal Mart bulk Federal, and then tried CCI Green Tag and even Eley. Then I went back to Wal Mart and bought a bulk pack of Remington 550. I am all but sure I must have some rough edges around the chamber.

Dobe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back to the range....

And I had the same results, but less often than before. So, I'm guessing that as long as I scrub and clean the bore every 200 rounds, it will have less jams (FTF) than if I do not not. I'll probably keep shooting this rifle for the next month. By that time, I'll be back home, and can drop my rifle off where I bought it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.