Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my son a youth 22. He wanted to shoot some in the backyard. We live in rural farm country but do have some neighbors around. I have tried some subsonic & 22 shorts. They still seem to have a fair amount of sound.

Accuracy(sp) is not an issue. Any ideas on what is the quietest 22 ammo? Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Muskrat30 - CB Longs are very quiet. CCI certainly manufacture them. There is also a 'Zimmer' round made by Eley ('Zimmer' being the German for 'room' or 'parlour' - it seems the Germans use them for indoor target practice). I am not sure of ballistic data for either round, but they are different.

Perhaps someone else can enlighten us?

Safe Shooting

Spikey

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The Eley Zimmer is the most quiet LR, in my experience.

It features most of the Long Rifle's ballistic attributes and general characteristics:

ELEY ZIMMER: 40 grains / 800 F.p.s. (243 m/s) / 56 Ft.Lb (76 Joules).

If you can get it in your area, or country, it is worth the price. Works like true match ammo when used in match grade chambers, provided that the weapon is properly sighted-in in advance using Eley Zimmer.

Please note that this round is not the same as the Eley Z Long (not LR), which has the following technical characteristics:

ELEY Z: 29 grains / 800 F.p.s. (243 m/s) / 41 Ft.Lb (56 Jules).

Compared, the Zimmer with the 40 grains works best, even with sporting (not match) weapons.

Crete

·
Registered
380 Posts
CB longs do it for me, just be sure theres a good backstop, these suckers maybe quiet...but can still be deadly...they go through an inch of wood at 40 yrds...if you get your son into handguns for the quietness also...try the Aguila Colibri i would sugget in a revolver...much easier to load and such, these things go 375 fps and can knock a can around all day, or go for the 575 fps Super Colibri (do NOT use in long guns...and if you do make sure the bullet clears before loading in the next one)
in short
rifle- CB longs, Eley Zimmer
pistol-Aguila Super Colibri (quiet), Colibri (quieter)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have some of the LR Zimmers. They are very quiet, but not as quiet as the CB's . The Zimmers dropped about 5'' at 50yards when sighted for Tenex at 50 yards. The NSS-522 shot 1/2'' groups for 5 shots at 50 yards with Zimmers!!! Quiet and accurate too! A friend of mine ordered a brick of 'em from who knows where and sold me half of 'em. If I remember they were around 5.00 a box a few years back--shipping included.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I think the CCI CB Long is a good round for your intended purpose.

Kent,

Old Western Scrounger is the only place I've been able to find the Eley Zimmer (about $5.00/50). Don't know if they still have it.

Regards,
JB

·
Registered
818 Posts
Most Power, Least Noise

The CCI Target Short gives the most power (775fps, 45ft/lbs energy) with the least noise. There are CBs that are quieter and Subsonics that have more power but the CCI Target Short has the best balance. They are best in a 24 or 25" barrel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually the super colibri is the quietest available. It is not available in long rifle and will not cycle the action.

The accuracy is good at short ranges. Load each one by hand and have fun. I use Super Colibri in my Ruger 10/22 rifle with great results.

Chris

·
Registered
536 Posts
ive put a box of cci cb longs, colibri's and super colibri's through my 10/22 with a bentz chamber and the 22 inch barrel no stoppings. The cci's are the most powerful but the colibri are MUCH quiter

·
Registered
818 Posts
CB Shortcomings

Lots of people pitch cb caps from CCI, Aguila and Remington as a good solution to the quiet ammo issue. I agree they are quiet but they have no other good points. I have done real experiments and found they have widely varying velocities and are not accurate. First off most guys shoot them from a LR chamber and the bullet has to jump about 1/5" before it engages the rifling. This makes typical groups 3X the size of a LR group. I have clocked CCI CB caps at a piddling 500 fps, nowhere the 725 they advertise and the Remingtons were even worse. Some Remingtons hardly left the barrel and others went off with a loud crack. The best ammo is the .22 short Rapid Fire Match, this stuff is made by CCI, Sellier + Bellot and Eley. This solves the velocity and quality issues. To solve the accuracy issue buy an old beater barrel on E-Bay and have your gunsmith reline it with a special .22 short liner from Brownell's, this has a special rifling twist rate and a chamber where the short bullet does not have to jump a wide gap before it engages the rifling. From distances greated than 100 yds the Rapid Fire Short ammo does not sound like a gunshot- it sounds like a car door being closed. This keeps neighbors happy in rural areas yet has plenty of power to dispatch small game.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I checked the Eley website and couldn't find them listed :( Old Western Scrounger told me they couldn't get them any more :(
Paul

·
Registered
276 Posts
How close are your neighbors? If you are in rural farm country, like we are, there shouldn't be many complaints.

I have spoken to our neighbors about my shooting, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they are not only un-bothered by my shooting, but actually get security from it.

One even said: "As city people move out here, they should hear some of us shooting...might help to keep them respectful of those who were here first..."

Another neighbor was glad to hear that I was doing some Varmint control; he told me:
"Two blocks away my old friend has been shooting Muskrats ever since the bottom fell out of fur prices, and no one traps them anymore.
"They put up some apartments and Condos behind his place, and he was soon visited by a new tenant, complaining about what he was doing to the poor little Muskrats. He had to quit shooting them or face the Law Enforcement confrontation threatened by the neighbor.
"Two years later, the same neighbor came to the shooter, compalining about what the Muskrats were doing to his backyard, and asked if the guy woulsd start shooting them again...

Sometimes City Folks just take a while to adjust to Country Ways...we have to help them gently along...
They also have to get used to smelling manure and hearing BIG Tractors running with open headers all night long in the Spring and Fall.

The Second Amendment is like the rest of the Bill of Rights; if you don't excercise them, they wither away...
So talk to your neighbors politely, then go ahead and Shoot Safely.
Maybe even invite them over to show them how SAFE and accurate you guys are.
Maybe you can bring them over to 'our side'...

That said, I like PMC Moderators and Aguila SubSonics for quiet and accurate plinking!

Good Luck

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cb decibels

waltonshooter said:
How are the aguila SSS rounds for noise? I need something that are even quiter than cbs. any suggestions?
Gosh, I don't think you can get any quieter than a CB. I shoot CCI CB longs here at the house all the time. I live out next to the river here and there's little ambient noise. The bullet impacting is louder than the report and if shooting into something soft the firing pin strike is clearly audible. Zack

·
Registered
276 Posts
Aguila SSS has a longer 60 grain bullet, which I find does not stabilize well in all guns. Bullet can 'keyhole', etc. Probably does real well in those AR-15 223>22LR conversions with a 1:9 twist.

The Aguila SSS are not any quieter than 38 or 40 grain subsonic loads; at least not when filtered through my hearing aids!

Super Colibris are very quiet, but may not have enough power to make it out of tight or long rifle barrels. I have even had the regular Colibris hang up in both of my 1955 vintage Ruger, flat-top, flat gate Single Six pistols, and they are well broken-in.

If you use Colibris, be very aware of that, and check out the bore after every round for the first half a box. Then, when you are used to how they sound and feel, check your bore again whenever anything doesn't sound or feel right.

CB caps are pretty quiet, and when you get used to the trajectory, they can be quite effective.
Using an 1894 Stevens Favorite (which I have owned since 1957) I have:
-killed a rabbit which was 75 yards away...the bullet didn't break the skin at that range, yet broke the ribs and ruptured the heart.
-knocked a Crow right over, stone cold dead, at 60 yards.
-shot 2 Starlings in a row out of the air as they flew over a family reunion (lots of witnesses); one through the heart, and the second one throught the head.
-shot numerous English Sparrows of of our BlueBird coops at 40 yards.
Don't get me wrong, I miss a lot too. But it's amazing how well that little CB can do!

How close are your nearest neighbors?
Mine are about 250 yards away, and never complain, even when I put 500 rounds of 45ACP through a 1911 pistol on one recent afternoon.
I shoot Muskrats at night here, from the upstairs of my 'garage' with a 17HMR. My wife (a light sleeper) says I never wake her up with them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the quietest 22lr ammo is the one thats supressed.

seriously, much quieter than any other option. its about the only way to get anything quieter than a CB cap.

you may want to look into your state laws on "silencers"

then again, you may not.

·
Registered
818 Posts
SSS is full of shortcomings

First off it is louder than a CB Short. Second it uses a elongated 60 grain bullet that needs a 1 in 10" rifling twist rate to stabilize. If you have the right barrel and a moderator it is a great ammo as the 60 grain bullet hits much harder than the regular 40 grain.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Would it be legal to make a non-portable 'muzzle muffler' for bench shooting? I'm thinking of something that does not attach to a firearm.

How about a 55 gallon drum with both ends cut out? Line it's insides with accoustic foam, and put a sheet of rubber over both ends, with 3-4 inch holes cut in them.

Set it on sawhorses in front of your bench, and line it up with the target. Shooting through that should muffle the sound.

Just a thought....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.