Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fire a few practice/test rounds from out of my garage into a bank 75 ft away. (or into a tank of somekind - less desirable)
Any ideas on how to make something to quite down the noise so the neighbors 200 ft away do not call the police.
Thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can do it indoors into a box filled with phone books, or with limited safety, and of course safety glasses etc., you can fire into the ground up close (less than a foot?) at a steep angle. You might also fire into the ground under your house (if you have a crawlspace), if you have a basement then a bullet stop(phonebook idea) is about all that is needed.

Please make sure to wear safety glasses, and be cautious, whatever you do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to fire a few practice/test rounds from out of my garage into a bank 75 ft away. (or into a tank of somekind - less desirable)
Any ideas on how to make something to quite down the noise so the neighbors 200 ft away do not call the police.
Thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you just want to test the action for proper firing and feeding, just take it to the basement and press the muzzle firmly into a thick pile of old rags with something (at least 6" wood, 12"newspapers etc) underneath or behind to stop the bullets. Nice and quiet.

If you have neighbors close enough to complain, I would not recommend shooting out your garage door. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
626 Posts
reg if your naighbors are gonna complain that kind of tells me its illegal to shoot in your county if not fuc%em. shoot. making up a suppresor evan temperary will get ya in club bubba.
i think theres a diclaimer or something in the rules on r.f.c. about this. dont flame me but you are a member. read.
john

·
Registered
443 Posts
John,

I don't understand what is was about my post that you feel violates the rules.

I told the guy NOT to shoot out his garage door. How's he supposed to see someone coming who might run past in his line of fire?

Last time I checked bullet traps were not illegal

I am not trying to argue, I just cant figure out why you want me to refer to the rules.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used a rolled up piece of 4'' thick x 6'longx4' wide foam using long bungy cord to keep it rolled, stick the whole front of the gun in it up to the scope, turn up the stereo and knowbody will ever her ya. It's not attached and is non assuming to keep you out of the big house.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Try baby bottle nipples. You get several shot before they are destoryed. You have to experment with the number, very quite but I am sure not legal at all.

Used to work on an old single shot...not sure I would be willing to try this anymore on my semi-custom 10/22.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All

I did not want anything that streached legal limits.
Box made of 2"x12" filled with phone books and some old rags should fit the bill.
Thanks again
Doug the Pilot

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm a fan of the Aguila "Colibri" loads

"Colibri" is Spanish language word for Hummingbird! - This little primer-activated (powderless) load is ideal for 'quiet' . An air rifle
makes more noise. Considering that unliscensed 'Silencers' have
been a Federal No-no since 1934, These little Hummingbirds fill a need - legally. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Use a silencer and subsonic ammo, if you can not use a silencer then still use subsonic ammo, as the sound signture is vastly reduced just by using subsonic ammo, also you may use a technique used by the IRA, to mask the report of fullbore weapons fired on their covert ranges, namely, that of arranging a heap of old car/truck tires in a line from the firing point to the Butts(tgt) end.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The "official" response would have to be this...

If it is illegal for you to fire the weapon in this area...do not fire it in this area. Go to a range. I understand that this is not nearly as convenient, but your situation is this..either obey the law OR be prepared to openly challenge it in court if/when you are found out.

Not a flame, just the facts. I find myself facing the same decision quite often.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Glad the Pop Btl thing is gone. Not a good idea as you are in possession of What??

A. A Bad Leak

B. Something That Isn't Reusable Anymore

C. A Piece Of Junk

D. An Illegal Unregistered NFA Item

Answer: All Of The Above

John

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I echo Ziplok. Colibris are good for a basic functional test of the firing mechanism. I tested a newly acquired bolt-action this way. "Tink - Blap" No bang! I used a cardboard box filled with rags. The 20 grain bullets stopped an inch into the rags, and were recovered intact. Accuracy across the living room/dining room (about 20 feet) was surprisingly good. I tested my action, and got the scope ball-parked. This worked well, on a day that rain prevented a range trip. However, the Colibris will not cycle a semi-auto - it's strictly a single-shot idea.

G

·
If they are 200 feet away i would not risk it, if the cops saw you doing that even though you were OUT of city limits you can still get in trouble. then they would be patrolling around your house bees around a nest. just get a nice pellet gun, 1000 fps should do, the box on mine says lethal up to 100 yards, but thats if you shoot them in the head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, IF it is legal to shoot out of you garage and IF it is safe, here is what you do. It is legal as far as I know. Use subsonic ammo, and use sheets of plywood, particle board or some other large partition. Set up inside the garage with your panels, about the standard size of a piece of plywood (4feetx 8 feet) and stand them on end in front with the flat surface facing you but seperate. shoot between the two pieces of plywood making sure the partitions are in front of your muzzle. The garage will work as a baffle and severly reduce if not eliminate the noise heard from outside the garage. Keep the gap as close as possible yet still be able to see to shoot. The bad part about this is you can't see if someone is about to step into your line of fire so make sure the area is secured so no one can wonder into your round. Alway remember safey is the number one thing NO MATTER WHAT. Happy shooting.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.