Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do quick release rings and mounts hold the zero that is dialed into your optics or in other words hold the point of aim with respect to the point of impact?

I would like to be able to use both a red dot and a variable power scope on my customized 10/22 and would like it to hold zero while changing optics. Is this possible or am I dreaming and wanting too much? If it is possible, which quick detachable rings do you recommend?

Thanks for your responses,
G

·
X-Mod
19,593 Posts
I have a Weaver RV7 and an Ultradot that I switch here and there on one of my 10/22's. I'm using Leupold QRW rings. They return to zero at 50 yards pretty darn close as long as I get the rings close to the same tightness.

Anyway, usually within a 1/2" or so. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Weaver RV7 and an Ultradot that I switch here and there on one of my 10/22's.
I am wanting to do something very similar...I have an Ultradot that I like to use for plinking and a Leupold 3-9 EFR that I like for target shooting, hunting, and long distance plinking.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
My two sets of A.R.M.S throw lever rings are guaranteed to hold zero no matter how many times you remove and mount them. For the $100+ price tag they should. I have two pairs and they do indeed hold zero with several removals and remounts.

$119 per pair.
http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/CTGY/tl-rings

I have heard that Larue's quick release rings also have a hold ZERO guarantee but the price is even higher (as the quality) than the A.R.M.S rings. Again, I'm not sure if they do have a guarantee but knowing his quality I don't doubt that they do have one.

$195 per pair.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=35

Both companies also have special QR mounts for other applications as well so they might have something that you could use for your project.

A Guaranteed return to zero isn't cheap but well worth it in certain applications.

Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My two sets of A.R.M.S throw lever rings are guaranteed to hold zero no matter how many times you remove and mount them. For the $100+ price tag they should. I have two pairs and they do indeed hold zero with several removals and remounts.[/FONT]
Do these A.R.M.S. rings attach to a weaver style base or do they require a base that is also sold by A.R.M.S.? These seem to sound about perfect for my needs and I don't mind spending a little extra on some quality rings that will let me switch optics flawlessly without the need to re-zero. The way I see it is I can have a super nice, tricked out 10/22 with about $150-$250 extra bucks in fancy rings/mounts which is expensive, but that still isn't as expensive as TWO nice guns for separate purposes.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Using a weaver style base:

I have used Weaver bases with Burris Zee rings on several different rifles. If you are careful swapping the optics back and forth they will work for a lot less cost. On a Win M52 I used a 12x for offhand and a 24x for bench and at the most fron a bench it would take one click to get dialed in. After the bases are mounted with locktite, put the Zee rings on put in the crossscrews and make sure the rings are as far foward as possible. then put the scope in the rings and sight in. Do the same with the second set remembering to slide the rings as far foward before tightening the screws, I think you will find this works. Mostly I use the Signature Zee's but for a M700 Remington the second scope just has Zee's and they work just as good. Cheaper rings that are not as well made as the Burris may not work as well.

Len

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Last year I was using Warne Quick Release rings with Leupold Weaver style bases to swap a scope between two M700 Remingtons in different calibers. I could move the scope, dial in the clicks and be right on target. They weren't benchrest quality rifles but I didn't notice a measurable difference in POI. I was very happy with the set-up.

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tony,

IF I understand you correctly you may have just made my day.

So theoretically, I could have a TC contender with three barrels and use the same scope for all three barrels as long as I make notation of the turret settings for each barrel. That way I could have a boxed set of contender barrels with one scope. Those rings and mounts might just be worth the price :cool:

Ray

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a set of Warne QR rings and bases on a Thompson-Center Pro Hunter muzzleloader and it holds zero when removed and re-mounted. If you want benchrest accuracy it might be a different story, but it sure is handy to remove the scope for black powder cleaning.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I use the Warne QD rings too - both Weaver and Ruger base. I have 4 sets total and they all work very well and return to zero. Yes, with high magnification scopes on accurate target rifles. My 40x .308 is set up for quick change from irons to scope and the rifle is within 1/4 MOA every time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too can vouch for Leupold QRW's, as in using on DSA FAL topcovers...have 2 systems in usage, one has been on/off my first FAL for ~ 10 years, with perfect results. -Frank...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've got the Leupold QRW rings on a Volquartsen SL. Just to see what would happen, I shot a five shot group taking the scope off after each shot. I was careful to position the levers the same each time. The result was a typical group for that rifle/ammo combination. No change in point of impact.

Also I've an ARMS holding a Leupold 2.5-8x on a flattop AR-15 that gets swapped with a EOTech. The ARMS always holds its zero. The EOTech will also if I torque it the same each time.

The only problem I've had is that the mount spacing is not always the same on different bases. I can't take the scope off the VQ and put it on a CZ 452 without repositioning the rings. Not a problem for Ray Cover because he will be using the same base on each of his Contender barrels.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What about Talley?

What's the experience out there on Talley Rings with Levers WRT return to zero?

I have a set that I have not used yet and just would like to know what folks experience with them are.

EJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok this is exciting news. I am G started this thread. In the past I had always kind of dismissed the idea of a removable scope thinking it impossible to retain accuracy. Glad to know I was wrong.

My father always laps his rings in with valve grinding compound to make sure they are perfectly aligned and giving maximum contact on the scope tube when on the base . Would that help maximize an accurate return to zero with this type of set up?

Ray

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have WARNE QD,Leupold QD,A.R.M.S. and LaRue rings on several different rifles ...By far the LaRue hold the zero the best, you can not even tell the scope was off the rifle @ 300Meters they are also the most costly The Warne rings are on a 460xvr smith and they return to Zero with no fuss,(granted it is not a BR gun) but it will still keep all shots inside 1.5-2.0 " off a rest @ 100yds

With any good quality rings and bases you should get what your after ...particularly if you use weaver style or picatinney style rings and bases

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.